Veteran Education Benefits and Standards

Students who have served in the military, are dependents of a disabled or deceased veteran, or who are currently on active duty, may qualify to use education benefits through the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA).

To activate benefits, you must submit a VA Form 22-1990 (Application for VA Benefits) to the VA.

You can submit the application online at; click “Apply for Benefits”  You can also print the form from the above site and mail it to the VA regional office that processes your claim. For Missouri, this address is: VA Regional Office, P.O. Box 66830, St. Louis, MO 63166-6830.

A third option is to call 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) and request the form. Students who are dependents of a disabled or deceased veteran will request a VA Form 22-5490.

After completing your application to activate benefits, you will receive a “Certificate of Eligibility” letter from the VA. At this time, contact and arrange to meet with the VA School Certifying Official. The VA School Certifying Official will submit your enrollment certification (VA Form 22-1999) after you have registered for courses and submitted a certification request form.   You must submit a Veteran Certification Request form each semester you wish to use VA education benefits.

Your benefits are determined by the number of credit hours you are enrolled in and the enrollment period.  For maximum benefits, you must enroll in 12 hours for the entire term (fall and spring).  Adding or dropping a class, enrolling in a class that does not apply to your degree program or enrolling in classes with various beginning and ending dates such as Intersession classes, eight-week block classes and certain summer classes may affect the monthly dollar amount of educational benefits.

Full-time12 or more hours
Three-fourths time 9-11 hours
Half-time 6-8 hours
Less than half-time 1-5 hours

Veterans’ Standards of Progress

The Veterans Administration may refuse to pay educational benefits to a veteran who fails to make satisfactory progress toward a specified educational goal. The Veterans Administration will be notified if the veteran:

  • Fails to declare an educational goal (major) within the first semester. The veteran must become a regular student in a specific program.
  • Fails to have previous college transcripts evaluated and applied toward the current program.
  • Fails to convert an “I” grade to a letter grade before the midterm of the following semester.
  • Accumulates more than 12 hours of “F” grades.
  • Is placed on academic probation or suspension
  • Earns a punitive grade

Important Notes Regarding Veteran Standards

The VA will not pay for repeat courses for which a passing grade (A, B, C, D) has already been received unless the program being followed requires a specific passing grade. The VA will not pay for courses that do not earn credit and/or are not computed into the GPA and/or are not necessary for progress toward the specified educational goal.

To change your degree program you must contact the VA School Certifying Official so that a review can be made of your file and also to report this change to the Veterans Administration.

Any changes to your course schedule must be reported immediately to the VA School Certifying Official, so that the VA can be made aware of the change in your enrollment.  Failure to do this may result in overpayment from the VA, and they may require repayment from you. You may also be required to repay all benefits for the course or courses you dropped unless you can validate that the change was due to mitigating circumstances.

Each month the veteran is required to verify his/her attendance if they receive Ch. 30, Ch. 1606, or Ch. 1607, VRAP benefits.  Payment will not be issued until the VA receives your verification. We encourage you to complete your verification by using the VA’s Internet verification program at or call 1-877-823-2378. When the system confirms that you are certified, your verification is complete.

When a veteran is transferring from another school, previous college transcripts must be forwarded to SCC, evaluated, and applied toward the current program being pursued.

Students who have other military tuition assistance programs in addition to their VA benefits are required to contact their commanding officer. In these situations, an invoice for billing must be given to the VA School Certifying Official.

Chapter 31 – Vocational Rehabilitation for Veterans

Some veterans are approved for education benefits program known as Chapter 31.

This program provides benefits to those veterans who have been determined to have a disability and need additional assistance. These veterans will meet with a VA Vocational Rehabilitation caseworker for program approval. If accepted into Chapter 31, VA form 28-1905 is required to be submitted to the VA School Certifying Official. This will allow for the approval of the veterans courses to be secured in the system until payment has been made. The issuance of a credit for books and supplies and certification by the college’s VA School Certifying Official will also require this approval process.

Missouri Returning Heroes Act

This act provides that institutions of higher education that receive any state funds, shall limit the tuition charged to combat veterans to fifty dollars per credit hour, as eligibility is determined, for any program leading to an undergraduate certificate, or an associate or baccalaureate degree. A “combat veteran” is any person who served in armed combat after September 11, 2001, who was a Missouri resident when first entering the military, and who was discharged from military service under honorable conditions.

If you would like to apply, submit a copy of your most recent DD-214 (long form) and the Missouri Returning Heroes Application to the Enrollment Services Department located in the Administrative Building, Room 1113. Your documentation will be reviewed to determine if you meet the criteria to be considered for reduced tuition. The Enrollment Services Department will determine the amount, if any, that your tuition will be reduced.


Financial Aid
Contact Information

General Information

A+ and State Programs

VA Benefits


Financial Aid Appeals & Scholarships