Financial Aid Handbook

Today, more than ever, there are a wide variety of financial assistance programs to accommodate every student who wishes to attend a college or university. These programs are available through federal, state and local sources. To help you make the most of these resources, we have provided this handbook.

Here, you will find basic information about each program and regulatory policies. For more details or to apply for programs, contact the Financial Aid Office at 636-922-8601. We also recommend that you review the college catalog for information on academic programs and college policies and procedures.

General Information

Due to circumstances beyond our control, information is subject to change without notice.

  • Federal financial assistance can be received at only one institution per semester.
  • Federal financial assistance is not available to visiting students. Visiting students are those seeking a degree at another institution and plan to enroll at SCC to take classes to transfer to their home institution. More information regarding procedures for visiting students can be found at our Visiting Students webpage.
  • Students who do not have a high school diploma or a recognized equivalent (e.g., HiSET), or do not meet the home school requirements, and who first enroll in a program of study after July 1, 2012, will not be eligible to receive federal financial assistance.
  • Failure to attend class does not constitute automatic withdrawal. If you decide not to attend class(es) at SCC, you MUST withdraw from your courses either via your student portal or with assistance from our Enrollment Services Department located in SC Main 1200. Failure to do so may result in money owed by the student to the college or to the Department of Education, as well as warning or suspension from financial assistance eligibility.
  • It is your responsibility to submit any changes in name, phone numbers and address to the Enrollment Services Department. Your file must be current in the event we need to contact you throughout the semester.
  • The application processor must receive all federal financial assistance applications by June 30 for the previous school year. NOTE: Your completed FAFSA application must be received by Enrollment Services by the last day of the term in which you plan to receive financial assistance. Financial assistance will not be awarded if you are no longer attending SCC
  • The Department of Education randomly selects FAFSA applications for verification. Your Student Aid Report (SAR) will indicate if your application has been selected. Students who are selected for verification will be required to submit an income verification statement and signed copies of their IRS federal tax return transcripts from the previous year. Dependent students are required to submit a signed copy of their parents' IRS federal tax return transcript as well. Additional verification documents could also be required. You are encouraged to use the IRS Data Retrieval tool when completing the FAFSA application.
  • Financial Aid eligibility will be determined by the number of credit hours a student is enrolled in as of term census dates, which can be found on our Dates & Deadlines page.. Any credit hours added after these dates will not be considered in your financial aid eligibility. In addition, you must have the correct degree program active prior to these dates. You should run a degree audit via SCC connection to ensure that you are in the correct courses for your active degree program.
  • Students withdrawing from all courses during a semester may owe money to the Department of Education and/or to SCC for expenses incurred. This process is referred to as "Return of Title IV Funding." The amount of assistance a student earns is determined on a prorated basis. For example, if a student attends classes for 30 percent of the semester, he/she would be eligible to receive only 30 percent of the assistance he/she was originally scheduled to earn. SCC will conduct this calculation and will notify the student in writing of any balances owed to either the Department of Education and/or SCC. More information can be found in the "Withdrawal & Return to Title IV Funds" section of this page.
  • Non-degree/certificate programs, including pre-allied health, will no longer be eligible for the Federal Pell Grant or for Subsidized Federal Direct Loans. Students pursuing a pre-allied health program at SCC will be eligible only for one Federal Direct Student Loan in one 12-month period. After this time, the student loses eligibility for federal financial assistance while pursuing a Pre-Allied Health program at SCC.
  • Bookstore credits, for most financial assistance programs, will be available from the bookstore 1-2 weeks before the start of classes and may be used in the bookstore through the first week of classes. If your bookstore credit is not available at the time you purchase your books, contact the Financial Aid Office.
  • Photo IDs and parking hang-tags will be issued by the Department of Public Safety and will be available in the Cafe-Bookstore during peak registration periods.
  • Only three hours of physical education courses will count towards the elective requirement for the Associate of Arts degree program. Physical education course credit is not required for any other degree program.


The basis for all federal and most state financial assistance programs is the "Free Application for Federal Student Aid" (FAFSA). Students are strongly encouraged to complete this application several months in advance for the upcoming school year, preferably after they have completed their federal and state income taxes from the previous year. Deadline dates for Financial Aid are posted on the Dates & Deadlines webpage.

A new FAFSA application is required for each school year in which a student plans to attend. The application is completed online at Federal Student Aid. Eligibility is based on a pre-determined formula set by the Department of Education.

An FSA ID is required to complete the FAFSA; the FSAID will serve as your signature to the online application.

The FAFSA will ask you to enter up to ten codes for the schools where you want your FAFSA results sent. The SCC school code is 017027. For other school codes, contact those colleges individually.

An e-mail notification from the Department of Education will be sent to you approximately 1 week after submission. This e-mail is to notify you that the Department of Education has received your application.

Please be advised that the Department of Education randomly selects students for verification. The SCC Enrollment Services Department will notify you in writing should you be selected. You will then be required to submit additional documentation before your file will be processed for eligibility. Funding will not be awarded to students with an incomplete file.

Students who apply by the Missouri deadline of April 1 may also be eligible for state grant programs as well. Refer to the section on "Access Missouri" on the State-Funded page.

Pell Grants, Student Loans, Supplemental Education Opportunity Grants (SEOG) and Federal Work Study are the various financial assistance programs associated with federal financial assistance and will be outlined on other pages.

IRS Data Retrieval Tool

Students are encouraged to utilize the IRS Data Retrieval tool when completing the FAFSA online. This tool is not available until approximately two weeks after filing and paying your federal taxes. Using the IRS Data Retrieval tool significantly reduces the extent of verification for each application.

How to Request an FSA ID

  1. Log on to
  2. Create Username and Password.
  3. Select "Continue."
  4. Enter the requested information.
  5. Submit and keep FSA ID Information for your records. 
  6. Dependents will need Parents to Create an FSA ID in addition to their own.

This site also let you manage your FSA ID with the following options:

  • Check your FSA ID status
  • Access your FSA ID email
  • Change your FSA ID
  • Update your personal information
  • Disable your FSA ID
  • Retrieve your FSA ID
  • Activate your FSA ID

Select the appropriate option and follow the step-by-step instructions.

Federal Grants

Federal Pell Grants

Pell Grants do not have to be repaid and are awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or professional degree.

  • Pell Grants are based on financial need.
  • A Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be filed with the Department of Education to determine your eligibility.
  • Eligibility may vary year-to-year depending on the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) as determined by the Department of Education based on your application results. Results are referred to as the Student Aid Report (SAR).
  • The maximum Pell Grant a student may receive for the academic year, August through July, is listed on a student's FA Offer Letter. The maximum Pell Grant amount viewable on the FA Offer Letter is for full-time enrollment, 12 or more credit hours. Enrolled credit hours must be required for a student's active degree program to be Pell Grant eligible.
  • Pell Grant award amounts for less than full-time enrollment will be prorated. Enrolled credit hours must be required for a student's active degree program to be Pell Grant eligible.
Term Credit Hours Term Enrollment Status Pro-Ration 22-23 EFC cutoff 23-24 EFC cutoff
1-5 Less-than-half-time 25% EFC =/above 4101 = $0 EFC =/above 4401 = $0
6-8 Half-time 50% EFC =/above 5501 = $0 EFC =/above 5901 = $0
9-11 Three-Quarter-time 75% EFC =/above 6001 = $0 EFC =/above 6401 = $0
12+ Full-time 100% EFC =/above 6207 = $0 EFC =/above 6657 = $0

Pell Recalculation Date

There is one PELL Recalculation Date in a semester. Your enrollment on this date determines the PELL award amount you are eligible to receive. Courses added after this date will not be considered for PELL disbursement. Likewise, courses dropped prior to this date will not be considered for PELL disbursement. Please refer to our Dates & Deadlines web page for the current term's Pell Recalculation Date.

Enrollment only in Mini-Mesters

If your first enrollment for the term occurs after the main PELL recalculation date, then your PELL eligibility will be determined by the final add/drop date of the earliest module in which you enroll. Refer to the "Last day to add a class" under "Mini-Mester Dates" on the Academic Calendar online.

Summer Pell

In order to be eligible for Year-Round Pell, a student must have used 100% of their eligibility during the academic year. A student must also maintain at least half-time enrollment in financial aid eligible courses to qualify for the additional grant.


Pell Grant proceeds are available approximately five weeks after the start date of each semester, with the exception of funding for late start courses. If your file is not complete until after the fourth week of class, you can expect your proceeds to take an additional two to three weeks to process. Proceeds will be available via your selected refund preference with BankMobile Disbursements, a technology solution, powered by BMTX, Inc. For more information visit this link:

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG)

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG), like Pell Grants, do not have to be repaid and are awarded to undergraduate students with exceptional financial need as determined by their Student Aid Report (SAR). There is no guarantee that every eligible student will receive an FSEOG. This is based on the availability of funds at each school. Amounts received can vary between $200 to $4,000 per year, depending upon funds allocated to the college and the number of students among which the funds are divided.

At SCC, the annual maximum FSEOG is $600, $300 awarded in the fall semester and $300 awarded in the spring semester. FSEOG funds are limited in supply and are awarded to students who have exceptional financial need as determine by completing the FAFSA (students with a 0 expected family contribution (EFC) receive priority). Funds may be less based on your financial need and cost of attendance. Students must be a regular student seeking a degree at SCC (visiting students are not eligible).

Federal Direct Loans

Student loans require repayment at a future date. In most cases, loans do not have to be repaid until six months after ceasing half-time enrollment, where half-time is defined as at least 6 credit hours. If you decide to discontinue your education before graduating, you will be required to start payments towards your student loan six months from your last date of halftime enrollment. Failure to repay your loan will result in future consequences such as garnishment of wages, withholding of state and federal income tax refunds and difficulties obtaining any future loans from any creditor. When a student borrows money through the Federal Direct Loan Program, information is provided by the college to the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) and its authorized users such as guaranty agencies, lenders and educational institutions.

To obtain a student loan, you must complete a FAFSA. Then visit our Student Loan page for instructions and the loan packet.

The amount of funds you are eligible to receive will depend on the number of completed hours, dependency status, how much you have already borrowed and financial need. Students may not receive financial assistance above their determined cost of attendance.

A subsidized student loan is awarded on the basis of financial need as determined by your EFC (Expected Family Contribution) number found on your SAR. You will not be charged any interest before you begin repayment or during authorized periods of deferment. The federal government "subsidizes" the interest during these periods. Interest will begin accruing once your loan enters repayment.

An unsubsidized student loan is not awarded on the basis of need. You will be charged interest from the time the loan is disbursed until it is paid in full. If you allow the interest to accumulate, it will be capitalized - that is, the interest will be added to the principal amount of your loan and additional interest will be based upon the higher amount.

Important Note: SCC does not issue Federal Direct PLUS Loans

There is a 1% origination fee charged to each loan you request. The funds available for your educational use will be the loan amount requested minus the origination fee. When you enter repayment, the total loan amount you will repay will include this origination fee.

You may receive a subsidized loan and an unsubsidized loan for the same enrollment period depending on whether you are an independent student or dependent student, your cost of attendance and your current grade level. See chart below:

Listed below are the maximum annual loan amounts. Enrollment Services will determine the amount you're eligible to receive. It is recommended that you borrow only what is necessary.

Completed Credit Hours Dependent Independent
0-29 credit hours $5,500/year $9,500/year
30-96 credit hours $6,500/year $10,500/year

First year students may only receive up to $3,500 max in a subsidized loan. Second year students may only receive $4,500 max in a subsidized loan.

Listed below are aggregate loan limits (the maximum you can borrow as a undergraduate student).

Dependent Independent
$31,000 $57,500


All students receiving a student loan must be enrolled, attending and participating in a minimum of six credit hours per semester. Funds will not be disbursed if a student should show enrollment status at less than six hours at the time of disbursement. Students enrolled in late-start classes will receive funding later in the semester.

Loans will be prorated for students enrolled in their last semester prior to graduation based on number of credit hours enrolled for that term.

Loan Pro-ration Chart
Credit Hours Enrolled Ratio Subsidized Unsubsidized (Dependent) Unsubsidized (Independent)
6 6/24 $1125 $500 $1500
7 7/24 $1312 $583 $1750
8 8/24 $1500 $667 $2000
9 9/24 $1688 $750 $2250
10 10/24 1875 833 $2500
11 11/24 $2062 $917 $2750
12 12/24 $2250 $1000 $3000

Funds over and above tuition, fees and book charges will be sent to your selected refund preference with BankMobile Disbursements.  Students must be enrolled in, attending and participating in at least six credit hours on the date funds are disbursed.

NOTE: Funds will not be disbursed until valid attendance verification is submitted to the Enrollment Services Department.

Federal Work Study Program

Students who have completed a FAFSA may be eligible for the Federal Work-Study Program (FWSP). The FWSP is a need-based program that allows students to work up to 19 hours per week while school is in session and up to 29 hours per week when not in session. Most employment is on campus and pays $12 per hour. FWSP students are exempt from FICA taxes.

How do I apply?

  • Complete a FAFSA Application (with SCC's school code: 017027).
  • Complete a FWSP application at
    • Select "Federal Work Study Job Openings".
    • Scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Full Job Description" to view positions.
    • Return to the web page and click "Apply for this Position".  Select positions within the application.
  • Once you are hired, tax forms (including a W-4) will need to be completed in the Human Resources Department.

Applications remain on file for one semester in the office for review by interested college departments.


  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen (such as a permanent resident)
  • Complete a FAFSA
  • Have unmet financial need based on FAFSA results (Cost of Attendance – EFC = Unmet Need)
  • Be degree seeking at SCC in an eligible degree program
  • Be enrolled half-time (at least 6 credit hours) during the semester in which you are applying
  • Be in good academic standing

The total work-study award a student is eligible to receive will be calculated by the Financial Aid Office based on the information reported on the Student Aid Report (SAR) and other funds awarded for a given semester.

Expectations & Renewal

FWSP students are required to complete their electronic time sheet each day they work. Time sheets must be signed by the supervisor and submitted to the Enrollment Services Department by the scheduled deadline for each pay period. Payroll is available every other Friday through direct deposit to a bank account of the student's choice.

Work-study students are expected to report for their scheduled shifts. You must contact your supervisor should you be unable to attend work or need to adjust your schedule. FWSP students should be working during their scheduled hours. You will be sent home should there be no work assignments available for you when you report to your job at your scheduled time. FWSP students may take an unpaid lunch break or other unpaid breaks as scheduled by their supervisor.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards must be maintained by FWSP students to continue employment.

FWSP students do not qualify for Family and Medical Leave.

Have more questions? Contact Abby Vernon at

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Please review our entire SAP policy in the SAP Policy PDF. Federal regulations require students make satisfactory academic progress (SAP) toward a degree or certificate to be eligible for Federal Title IV Student Aid (668.34 of the Higher Education Act).

Federal Title IV Student aid includes the following:

  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant
  • Federal Work Study
  • Federal Direct Subsidized Loan
  • Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan

The SAP policy is consistently applied to all enrolled students at the end of the Fall, Spring, and Summer terms. The SAP status for incoming transfer students will be based on this current SAP policy. You should select courses that will fulfill your educational goals. These courses must follow published degree requirements. Students will be evaluated at the end of the fall, spring and summer semesters in order to determine eligibility of assistance for the next term. Please be aware that some programs may have a higher GPA requirement for renewal.

How is SAP Measured?

To maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), students must meet the minimum requirements noted below. SAP has a qualitative measure and a quantitative measure, which are measured at the end of each term. Based on these measurements, there are three components of SAP which must be met in order to remain eligible for Federal Title IV student aid and A+. Students must meet all of the following SAP components:

  1. Cumulative grade point average (GPA) requirement (Qualitative Measure)
  2. Cumulative completion percentage requirement (Quantitative Measure)
  3. 150% maximum allowable time frame (Quantitative Measure)

The chart below provides additional information and examples of the three components of SAP.

Classification/Level Attempted Hour/GPA Scale Completion Percentage Maximum Time Frame

1-15 CR = 1.5 GPA

16-30 CR = 1.8 GPA

31 CR above = 2.0 GPA

67% Cumulative Attempted Hours 150% of published program length

2.0 required

2.25 > 2.0 = good

67% of 60 = 40

50 >40 = good

60 X 150% = 90

75 < 90 = good

Attempted and Earned Hours

  • Attempted and earned credit hours are based on the official college calculation as presented on the student’s academic records in the college database.
  • Once a student has completed a degree, all subsequent coursework is considered in the attempted hours calculation until that subsequent degree is completed.
  • Attempted hours include: repeat hours, incomplete hours, academic clemency/bankruptcy hours, transfer hours, concurrent (high school) enrollment, regardless of whether a student received financial aid.
  • The Department of Education regulations do not exempt hours included in academic clemency/bankruptcy from the SAP policy. This means that terms excluded due to clemency/bankruptcy remain in the maximum allowable time frame and completion percentage calculation of your SAP status.
  • All periods of enrollment at SCC will be counted in attempted hours.
  • Courses where a student receives a final grade of A, B, C, D, F, I (In Progress), or W will be used to compute hours attempted. An “I” grade is considered an “F" grade for SAP calculation purposes.
  • Courses with final grades of F, I (In Progress), or W will not be counted in earned hours.
  • Remedial/Transitional courses will not be considered in the calculations, instead will be monitored based on established policies for that program.
  • Courses deleted or canceled are not included in the calculation of GPA, completion rate, and/or maximum timeframe.
  • If a student changes their major, degree or seeks to earn an additional degree they are eligible to receive federal aid for no more than 150% of the credit hours required for the chosen major. The 150% maximum timeframe limit is applied to all credit hours earned or attempted while enrolled at SCC, and includes transferred credit from previously attended institutions.


  • Students may request a recalculation of their eligibility for the current term due to grade changes due to corrections. Please note that a grade change is not the same as grade forgiveness.

Financial Aid Warning and Suspension

Financial Aid Warning

A student who fails to meet the minimum SAP requirements (because of GPA and/or completion percentage as indicated above) at the end of a term will be placed on Financial Aid Warning. A student on Financial Aid Warning may continue to receive assistance under the Federal Title IV funds for the next term only. During the term of warning, the student is expected to come into compliance with the standard Federal Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy as stated above. 

At the end of that term, if the student has met the minimum GPA and completion percentage, the student is considered to be meeting SAP (unless the student is not meeting the maximum time frame requirement).

If the student has not met the minimum completion percentage and GPA requirement, the student is not considered to be meeting SAP.  At this time the student will be placed on Financial Aid Suspension and will not be eligible for Federal Title IV funding.   

Note: Financial Aid Warning and Suspension are separate from Academic Probation and Suspension.  Students should contact the SCC Registrar’s office for information regarding Academic Probation and Suspension.

Financial Aid Suspension

There are two reasons a student will be placed on Financial Aid Suspension: 

  1. Failure to meet SAP Good Standing after the Financial Aid Warning period.
  2. Failure to complete the academic program within 150% of the published program length (a.k.a. Maximum Hours)

During this period of suspension, the student will not be eligible to receive Federal Title IV funds. The student may continue to be enrolled at SCC if they meet admission and enrollment requirements and meet published payment deadlines.

A student who loses their Federal Title IV financial aid eligibility due to SAP at the end of a financial aid warning or as a result of not completing their program within 150% of the published length of the program, has the right to file an appeal.

Repeated Course(s) Rule

  • Repeated courses are not part of the SAP policy, but it is important students understand they may only receive federal financial aid for one repetition of a previously passed course(s).
  • If a course is repeated and replacement is approved according to the SCC Academic Repeat policy, the grade given at the end of the repeated course becomes the official grade. The replacement grade is used to compute the cumulative GPA in the calculation of a student's SAP status.
  • Each repeated course will count towards the attempted hours when determining completion rate and maximum timeframe. Note: this includes Transfer Credits accepted for meeting degree requirements.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeals Process

Appeal requests must be submitted to the Enrollment Services Department by noon on the second Wednesday of the month. Applications received after the second Wednesday will be reviewed at the next month's meeting (no exceptions). Exceptions to the college's SAP policies are not made lightly and will generally be considered only for extenuating circumstances. Decisions are based on an individual's extenuating circumstances, the documentation provided and the student's academic history. An incomplete application will not be reviewed by the Appeals Committee.

Initial Appeal

A student on Financial Aid Suspension may appeal if the circumstances causing the student to fall below minimum standards were out of the student’s control and warrant special consideration.

Mitigating Circumstances

Example of Documentation

Death of a family member/friend

Obituary, death certificate

Marital Issue

Separation Agreement, divorce decree, statement for counselor/minister

Health Issues

Statement from medical professional, medical records

Employment Issues

Letter from employer, copies of time sheets, pay stubs

Family Responsibilities

Documentation that supports the particular issue

Financial Responsibilities

Documentation that supports the particular issue

  1. Complete a Financial Assistance Satisfactory Academic Progress appeal form.

  2. Attach to your appeal a typed one-page letter explaining why you are currently not meeting SAP standards and what has changed that will enable you to be successful in the future. Include relevant dates, names and relationships when possible.

  3. Attach a degree audit report printed from your SCC Connection account.

  4. Attach supporting documentation of your extenuating circumstances that have contributed to your inability to maintain SAP.

The appeal should address each term that a student's performance was below the minimum requirements. Additionally, an appeal should contain an explanation of the steps that a student intends to take to ensure that future academic progress will be acceptable. The student will complete an academic plan with the help of an Academic Advisor. The Academic Plan will contain a projection of the courses the student will take each term up to the term that they again meet SAP requirements. The appeal form, letter, documentation and academic plan will be turned in to the Financial Aid Office and sent to the Appeals Committee for review. You will be notified via SCC email of the Committee's decision.

Should you wish to contest the original decision of the committee, you may do so in person at the next appeals meeting. To schedule an appearance, call 636-922-8601 no later than noon on the Wednesday preceding the meeting.

Appeal Deadline:  Students on financial assistance suspension, whose appeals have not been read and/or approved by the payment deadline for a given semester, are required to pay for their tuition and fees (by the payment deadline) in order to secure the classes in which they have enrolled. Appeals must be received no later than three weeks after the start of the semester in which you are enrolled. Appeals received after three weeks will take effect the following semester.

Financial Aid SAP Committee

The committee is comprised of representatives from SCC staff and faculty

  1. The committee reviews the appeal according to the dates on the Financial Aid website and provides its decision to the Financial Aid Office.

  2. Students will receive an email informing them of the committee’s decision. The email is sent to the student’s SCC email address.

  3. The decision of the committee is final. Note: No Federal Title IV aid will be paid retroactively for a term in which the student did not meet the minimum SAP requirements as outlined in Section I.

  4. If the student has questions regarding the decision, an appointment can be made with the Director of Financial Aid.

Appeal Approval

If the appeal is approved, the student is placed on Financial Aid Probation

Financial Aid Probation

Students who have their appeal approved will be placed on Financial Aid Probation and must maintain compliance with the Academic Plan submitted with their appeal. While on probation, a student is eligible for Federal Title IV aid.

  1. During the period of probation, the student is expected to come into compliance with the SAP policy as described above in Section I, or

  2. Maintain compliance with the Academic Plan submitted to the Financial Aid Office as part of the appeal. The Academic Plan will be reviewed by the Financial Aid Office at the end of term. Failure to meet the terms of the Academic Plan will result in the student being placed on Financial Aid Suspension and the will not be eligible for Federal Student Aid.

Reestablishment of Aid Eligibility after not maintaining Academic Plan Requirements:

    A student who does not meet the terms of Academic Plan may establish federal aid eligibility in one of two ways.
  1. The student will be eligible for Federal Title IV Aid when they meet the SAP policy requirements listed in Section I, or

  2. The student may submit another appeal to the SAP Committee for consideration in order to regain federal aid eligibility.

Intention of Academic Plan

The purpose of the academic plan is to:

  • Ensure the student has met with an Academic Advisor to discuss their academic goals and ensure they understand the path to obtain their degree of certificate.

  • Establish with their Academic Advisor a plan that will allow the student to do one of the following:

    1. Obtain compliance with the SAP policy within one academic term, or

    2. Obtain compliance with the SAP policy within a reasonable time.

Veteran Education Benefits and Standards

Students who have served in the military, are dependents of a disabled or deceased veteran, or who are currently on active duty, may qualify to use education benefits through the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA).

To activate benefits, you must submit a VA Form 22-1990 (Application for VA Benefits) to the VA.

You can submit the application online at; click "Apply for Benefits" You can also print the form from the above site and mail it to the VA regional office that processes your claim. For Missouri, this address is: VA Regional Office, P.O. Box 66830, St. Louis, MO 63166-6830.

A third option is to call 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) and request the form. Students who are dependents of a disabled or deceased veteran will request a VA Form 22-5490.

After completing your application to activate benefits, you will receive a "Certificate of Eligibility" letter from the VA. At this time, contact and arrange to meet with the VA School Certifying Official. The VA School Certifying Official will submit your enrollment certification (VA Form 22-1999) after you have registered for courses and submitted a certification request Eform in your student portal ("Certify My VA Benefit"). You must submit this Eform for each semester you wish to use VA education benefits.

Your benefits are determined by the number of credit hours you are enrolled in and the enrollment period. For maximum benefits, you must enroll in 12 hours for the entire term (fall and spring). Adding or dropping a class, enrolling in a class that does not apply to your degree program or enrolling in classes with various beginning and ending dates such as Intersession classes, eight-week block classes and certain summer classes may affect the monthly dollar amount of educational benefits.

Full-time 12 or more hours
Three-fourths time 9-11 hours
Half-time 6-8 hours
Less than half-time 1-5 hours

Veterans' Standards of Progress

The Veterans Administration may refuse to pay educational benefits to a veteran who fails to make satisfactory progress toward a specified educational goal. The Veterans Administration will be notified if the veteran:

  • Fails to declare an educational goal (major) within the first semester. The veteran must become a regular student in a specific program.
  • Fails to have previous college transcripts evaluated and applied toward the current program.
  • Fails to convert an "I" grade to a letter grade before the midterm of the following semester.
  • Accumulates more than 12 hours of "F" grades.
  • Is placed on academic probation or suspension
  • Earns a punitive grade

Important Notes Regarding Veteran Standards

The VA will not pay for repeat courses for which a passing grade (A, B, C, D) has already been received unless the program being followed requires a specific passing grade. The VA will not pay for courses that do not earn credit and/or are not computed into the GPA and/or are not necessary for progress toward the specified educational goal.

To change your degree program you must contact the VA School Certifying Official so that a review can be made of your file and also to report this change to the Veterans Administration.

Any changes to your course schedule must be reported immediately to the VA School Certifying Official, so that the VA can be made aware of the change in your enrollment. Failure to do this may result in overpayment from the VA, and they may require repayment from you. You may also be required to repay all benefits for the course or courses you dropped unless you can validate that the change was due to mitigating circumstances.

Each month the veteran is required to verify his/her attendance if they receive Ch. 30, Ch. 1606, or Ch. 1607, VRAP benefits. Payment will not be issued until the VA receives your verification. We encourage you to complete your verification by using the VA's Internet verification program at or call 1-877-823-2378. When the system confirms that you are certified, your verification is complete.

When a veteran is transferring from another school, previous college transcripts must be forwarded to SCC, evaluated, and applied toward the current program being pursued.

Students who have other military tuition assistance programs in addition to their VA benefits are required to contact their commanding officer. In these situations, an invoice for billing must be given to the VA School Certifying Official.

Chapter 31 - Vocational Rehabilitation for Veterans

Some veterans are approved for education benefits program known as Chapter 31.

This program provides benefits to those veterans who have been determined to have a disability and need additional assistance. These veterans will meet with a VA Vocational Rehabilitation caseworker for program approval. If accepted into Chapter 31, VA form 28-1905 is required to be submitted to the VA School Certifying Official. This will allow for the approval of the veterans courses to be secured in the system until payment has been made. The issuance of a credit for books and supplies and certification by the college's VA School Certifying Official will also require this approval process.

Missouri Returning Heroes Act

This law provides that institutions of higher education that receive any state funds shall limit the tuition charged to combat veterans to $50 per credit hour, as eligibility is determined, for any program leading to an undergraduate certificate or an associate or baccalaureate degree. A combat veteran is any person who served in armed combat after Sept. 11, 2001, who was a Missouri resident when first entering the military, and who was discharged from military service under honorable conditions. More information on the Act can be found on the MDHE website

To apply, please submit the Eform in your portal MO Returning Heroes with an attached DD214 member 4 copy. Paper forms are available in Enrollment Services in the Administrative Building. Your documentation will be reviewed to determine if you meet the criteria to be considered for reduced tuition. The Enrollment Services Department will determine the amount, if any, that your tuition will be reduced. Students who qualify for 100% VA tuition funding are not eligible for the reduction at SCC.

State Funded Programs

MDHE State Programs

The following are programs supported by the Missouri Department of Higher Education. Descriptions and requirements of each program can be found at the MDHE website. Click the individual program link to be redirected to the MDHE website.

State Agency Scholarships/Programs

  • Missouri National Guard Association Scholarship Program
    Missouri National Guard Association
    2302 Militia Drive
    Jefferson City, MO 65101
    800-972-1164 or 573-526-9632
  • Missouri Professional and Practical Nursing Student Loan Program
    Missouri Department of Health - Bureau of Primary Care
    PO Box 570
    Jefferson City, MO 65102
    800-891-7415 or 573-751-6219
  • Primary Care Resource Initiative for Missouri (PRIMO) Loan Program
    Missouri Department of Health - Bureau of Primary Care
    PO Box 570
    Jefferson City, MO 65102
    800-891-7415 or 573-751-6219
  • Federal Job Training Partnership Act Tuition Assistance Program
    Missouri Department of Economic Development
    Division of Job Development and Training
    PO Box 1087
    Jefferson City, MO 65102
  • Vocational Rehabilitation Tuition Assistance for Students with Physical and/or Mental Disabilities
    Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
    Division of Vocational Rehabilitation
    2401 East McCarty Street
    Jefferson City, MO 65101
    St. Charles Number - 636-940-3300
  • Federal Job Training Partnership Act Farmworker Assistance Program
    Rural Missouri, Inc.
    1014 Northeast Drive
    Jefferson City, MO 65109
    800-234-4971 or 573-635-0136

The programs listed on this page are administered by federal and state agencies. Availability of these programs and information contained on this page is subject to change according to the policies set by the agencies that administer them.

Workforce Investment Act (WIA)

WIA provides help to workers who have been permanently laid off because of a business closure, cutback, or other similar circumstances. The program funds educational retraining and other supportive services.

To determine eligibility, contact your local Missouri Career Center and meet with a counselor.

Once you have been approved for WIA benefits, your career counselor will assist you with the necessary paperwork required for funding. You should then meet with an academic advisor and with a financial aid counselor for further guidance.

Vocational Rehabilitation

This program provides assistance to students with a physical and/or mental disability.

Students are required to meet with their vocational rehabilitation counselor to determine their eligibility for benefits. Students residing in St. Charles County may call 636-940-3300 for information. If you are unsure as to which Vocational Rehabilitation office to call, contact the main office in Jefferson City at 573-751-3251.

After a student has been approved for benefits, authorizations for payment will be issued and mailed to the college. This will allow the college to bill for those expenses allowed and to secure the student's classes until payment has been made. Textbook credits will be given prior to the start of a new semester, if approval for books and/or supplies is granted.

Vocational Rehabilitation students must complete a FAFSA for each school year they plan to attend. If eligible to receive a Pell Grant, these funds will be utilized prior to Vocational Rehabilitation funds.

Students who have a physical disability and need additional assistance while on campus should contact the Accessibility Services Office at 636-922-8247.

Aplus Program

The Missouri A+ Scholarship Program provides scholarship funds to eligible graduates of Aplus designated high schools who attend a participating community college. Eligibility and renewal criteria are described below.

A+ New Student Checklist

  • Complete SCC admissions application
  • Submit official A+ high school transcripts complete with A+ seal
  • Submit official college transcripts
  • Complete FAFSA
  • Full-time enrollment (12 or more credit hours in Fall/Spring and 6 or more credit hours in Summer)
  • Complete FA Checklist
  • Complete NelNet Deferred payment plan

A+ Renewal Student Checklist

  • Complete financial aid file, annually
    1. Current year FAFSA on file at SCC
    2. Any additional required documents
    3. Federal verification complete, if selected
    4. Be seeking a financial aid eligible degree or certificate at SCC
  • Enroll and attend full-time
    1. Full-time = 12 or more credit hours in Fall/Spring semesters and 6 or more credit hours in Summer semesters
    2. Attending = Active participation/attendance in courses, includes all course formats (on-campus, online, remote). Courses reported as "Stopped Attending" or "Never Attended" are not counted in enrollment levels and are not eligible for A+ disbursement.
    3. Census date = The date used to verify enrollment and course eligibility. This information is used to calculate financial aid disbursements. The Main Term census date is approximately 4 weeks after the term start date. Mini term census dates are 15 days from the term start date.
    4. Courses must be required for your active degree program to be eligible for A+ disbursement
    5. Ineligible courses will count toward the full-time requirement, but will not be eligible for A+ disbursement
  • Enroll in the Nelnet Deferred Payment Plan each semester to secure enrollment in courses
  • Complete a full-time course load in the most recent prior term in which A+ funds were received
    1. Complete = letter grades A, B, C, D, F, P, R, I
    2. Full-time = 12 or more credit hours in Fall/Spring semesters and 6 or more credit hours in Summer semesters
  • Maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA
    1. GPA can be monitored in Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) section of FA Checklist in Student Self-Service
    2. Updated at the end of each academic term
  • Maintain a 67% cumulative completion rate
    1. Completion ratio can be monitored in Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) section of FA Checklist in Student Self-Service
    2. Updated at the end of each academic term

Part-Time Enrollment

  • The A+ Program requires full-time enrollment to be considered for funding
  • The A+ Program allows part-time enrollment exceptions for the below circumstances, only:
    1. ADA - Students granted reduced credit hour accommodations under the Title II Americans with Disabilities Act may be approved for an A+ part-time enrollment exception. These students must enroll in and complete a minimum of 6 credit hours in Fall/Spring semesters and 3 credit hours in Summer semesters. An ADA Letter must be submitted to the FA Office to document exception eligibility. Contact Disability Support Services to determine eligibility.
    2. All available hours - Students enrolled in all possible courses for their degree program, after all general education courses have been taken, may be eligible for an A+ part-time enrollment exception. This may include students in specialized programs that only require part-time enrollment within a term (Ex: Associate of Science - Nursing) or students preparing to graduate. Contact Nursing and Allied Health to determine eligibility, if enrolled in a Nursing and Allied Health program. Contact Academic Advising to determine eligibility, if graduating. An application for graduation must also be on file.

Aplus Payment Amounts

  • The A+ Scholarship pays for tuition and required fees (student technology fees and student success fee)
  • Textbooks are not covered by A+, including bookstore charges for digital access e-books
  • Additional course- or program-specific fees, including but not limited to science lab, studio art, allied health, and private music lesson fees, are not covered by A+
  • Tuition is capped at the per-credit-hour rate charged by State Technical College of Missouri and can change annually. The maximum tuition rate is announced in late spring or early summer. Current maximum rate is $196 per credit hour.

Pell MUST Pay First

  • The A+ Program covers the unpaid balance of your tuition and required fees (course-specific fees, such as lab fees, will not be covered) after all available non-loan, federal financial assistance, such as the Federal Pell Grant, has been applied to your account
  • This may result in a zero award if your Pell grant is sufficient to cover all tuition and general fee charges
  • Students who receive zero awards due to Pell, but otherwise qualify for A+, must meet all A+ renewal requirements to be considered for future A+ awards.

Repeat Courses

  • The A+ Program does not pay for repeat courses
    1. Repeat = Any course in which a standard letter grade (A, B, C, D, F, P, R, I) was previously received
  • Repeat credit hours will count toward the full-time credit hour requirement
  • Exception:
    1. A+ will pay for repeat attempts of courses previously completed in high school. These courses will only be approved if they are degree required and enrollment and attendance are verified.

Attendance and Withdrawals

  • Courses reported as "Stopped Attending" or "Never Attended" are not counted toward the full-time requirement and are not eligible for A+ funding. Students who fail to meet the full-time requirement will not receive an A+ disbursement.
  • Dropped courses are not eligible for A+ funding - payment for dropped courses is the student's responsibility.
    1. If full-time enrollment is maintained after dropping a course(s), allowing you to complete a minimum of 12 credit hours during a Fall/Spring semester or 6 credit hours during a Summer semester, A+ WILL NOT cover the cost of the withdrawn course(s). You are responsible for the tuition and fees for the withdrawn coursework and must make payment to SCC. Failure to pay for withdrawn course work will result in a hold being placed on your student account, prohibiting future registration and release of transcripts.
    2. You may be eligible to receive A+ funding in subsequent terms, provided you meet all renewal requirements and have remaining A+ benefits.
  • Exception
    1. If dropping a course(s) results part-time enrollment, preventing you from completing a minimum of 12 credit hours during a Fall/Spring semester or 6 credit hours during a Summer semester for which A+ was awarded, A+ WILL cover the cost of the withdrawn coursework, provided the course is eligible and you established active attendance/participation in the course on/after the term census date (end of 4th week of term).
    2. You will be placed on A+ Suspension for subsequent term(s). You will not be eligible to receive A+ funding while on A+ Suspension. You may re-establish A+ eligibility by making up the number of credit hours to meet the full-time requirement. You must also continue to meet all other A+ renewal requirements and have remaining A+ benefits.

Additional Information

  • A+ benefits will expire when the first of the following occurs:
    1. 48 months after high school graduation
    2. Completion of an Associate degree
    3. Max hours of 105% of required hours for declared active program has been reached
  • Visiting SCC students are not eligible for A+ Scholarship funding
  • A+ funding is only open to United States citizens or permanent residents
  • If you have been previously awarded A+ but no longer meet the renewal eligibility requirements, your A+ award will be removed. You will be responsible for any charges on your student account.
  • A+ communication to students will be made exclusively through SCC email and mySCC Alerts

Note: A+ awards are subject to the availability of funds from the appropriate agencies and the laws and regulations which govern these programs, and thus are subject to change. All awards are contingent on enrollment status, Satisfactory Academic Progress status and the receipt and evaluation of official transcripts from all previously attended institutions (including high school). You are responsible for reading, understanding and complying with the policies in the SCC A+ Program Guidelines. For more information you may also visit MDHE's A+ Scholarship Program information page.

Scholarships at SCC

There are a wide variety of sources for scholarship information. To help you in your search, SCC has a scholarship website, which primarily lists scholarships offered through SCC funding or gift donations made to the college. Information is also available pertaining to Internet references and transfer scholarship information to other Missouri colleges and universities.

SCC Board of Trustees Scholarships and Foundation Scholarships are the two primary awards exclusive to SCC students. A brief summary of these scholarship programs is given below.

Board of Trustees Scholarship Program

The Board of Trustees Scholarship Program is designed to attract students to SCC who have demonstrated a high level of academic ability, have other special talents or are a military family member.

All Board of Trustees scholarships cover the cost of in-district tuition and standard fees. Special fees, such as allied health, technology, private music lessons, malpractice insurance for nursing, OTA and Health Information, RN certification course and clinicals, LPN assessment testing, nursing assessment testing, scuba course and telecourse fees, are not included. Any additional tuition (for example, if a student lives out of the district) must be paid by the recipient.

Board of Trustees scholarship awards apply only to those courses that are part of your degree program within a 72-credit-hour limit. In addition to the 72 credit hours, the Trustee Scholarships will apply to any developmental courses you may be required to complete. Courses transferred from other institutions that apply to your degree program will be considered in the 72-credit-hour limit.

Deadlines for all Trustee Scholarships are May 31st. Awards can be renewed for up to three additional semesters (excluding summers) provided the recipient maintains a 2.5 cumulative GPA and completes at least 6 credit hours.

SCC Foundation Scholarships

The St. Charles Community College Foundation is the official fund raising and private gift-receiving agency for the college. Chartered as a non-profit corporation for educational purposes, the Foundation solicits and receives tax-deductible gifts and manages these gifts and bequests for the benefit of the college.

The SCC Foundation Board of Directors is composed of concerned community leaders from businesses, professions, and service agencies and institutions. Directors take an active role in fund raising and they dedicate a portion of those funds for scholarship opportunities to St. Charles Community College students.

The deadline established for all Foundation Scholarships is May 31st. Award amounts vary but will not exceed the cost of tuition, standard fees and books. Funds are applied directly to the student's account. Some of the Foundation Scholarships are renewable for one additional semester, providing the renewal criteria are met.

To obtain additional information or to apply for either the Board of Trustee Scholarship and/or the Foundation Scholarships, please visit ourScholarships web page

Athletic Scholarships

Scholarships are offered to selected athletes. Please visit our Athletics Department Office (Building 7RC – Recreation Center, Room 104) to inquire about scholarships. For more information about our Athletics programs, please visit the SCC Athletics webpage.

Withdrawal/Return of Title IV Funds Policy

Returning Federal TIV Aid

This policy applies to students who officially withdraw, unofficially withdraw, fail to return from a leave of absence, or are dismissed from enrollment at SCC. Please view our full policy in the Return of TIV Funds PDF

Title IV funds are awarded to the student under the assumption that he/she will attend school for the entire period for which the aid is awarded. When a student withdraws, he/she may no longer be eligible for the full amount of Federal Title IV funds that were originally scheduled to be received. Therefore, the amount of federal funds earned must be determined. If the amount disbursed is greater than the amount earned, unearned funds must be returned.

The institution has 45 calendar days from the date that the institution determines that the student withdrew to return all unearned funds for which it is responsible. The school is required to notify the student if they owe a repayment via written notice.

Federal TIV Aid Amount Earned

Courses are deemed Title IV eligible if they are required for a student’s active degree program and are not ineligible repeats. The amount of Federal Title IV aid earned is based on the amount of time a student spent in academic attendance and the total aid received.  Institutional charges are used to determine the amount of unearned Federal Title IV aid that the institution is required to return, but do not affect aid earned by the withdrawn student.  

Federal Student Aid awards included in the Return of Title IV funds (R2T4) recalculation at SCC are listed in the order unearned funds are returned:

  • Federal Unsubsidized Direct Stafford Loan,
  • Federal Subsidized Direct Stafford Loan,
  • Federal Pell Grant, and
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG).

Post-Withdrawal Disbursement

Eligibility for post withdrawal disbursements will be confirmed within 30 calendar days of the date that the student withdrew. The school must advise the student or parent that they have 14 calendar days from the date that the school sent the post withdrawal disbursement notification to accept a post withdrawal disbursement. For Federal Direct Loans, if a response is not received from the student or parent within the allowed time frame or the student declines the funds, the school will return any earned funds that the school is holding to the Federal Title IV programs. Earned Federal Pell Grant funds will be disbursed unless a student declines the funds in a written notice.

 Official Withdrawal

A student’s official withdrawal date is the last day of physical attendance and/or academically related activity, determined once SCC receives notice from the student that they are withdrawing. Note: please see section on definition of academic attendance/academically related activity.  It is the student’s responsibility to officially drop or withdraw from any class that they will no longer be attending. Official notification must be made by the student by completing the withdrawal form in person with the Registration & Records office.

Never Attended Course(s)

If a student receives Federal Title IV grant or loan assistance and does not begin attendance in a period of enrollment, the student is considered to be ineligible for any Federal Title IV aid.

R2T4 Procedure

Upon receipt of the official withdrawal information, SCC will complete the following:

  1. SCC Financial Aid Office verifies the student’s attendance through the withdrawal report. The “Last Attended Date” for a course is the earlier of the official withdrawal date or the date of reported by the instructor.
  2. The R2T4 calculation is performed to determine the amount of federal funds the student has earned and the amount of unearned federal funds for which the school and the student is responsible to return (if any).
    • Calculations are completed using the U.S. Department of Education’s Return of Title IV formula, withdrawal date, and are based upon the period of enrollment.
  3. SCC Financial Aid Office will return the amount of any unearned portion of the Federal Title IV funds for which the school is responsible within 45 calendar days of the date the official notice of withdrawal was provided.
  4. SCC Financial Aid Office will provide the student with a letter explaining any returns that have been made to the Federal Title IV programs on the student’s behalf as a result of exiting the program.
    • Remaining unearned Federal Title IV loan funds (e.g. Federal Direct Loans) must be repaid by the student in accordance with the terms of the loans.
  5. If a student’s scheduled attendance is more than 60 percent of the period of enrollment, he/she is considered to have earned 100 percent of the federal funds received for the period of enrollment. In this case, no funds need to be returned and no letter will be sent from SCC Financial Aid Office.
  6. A copy of the notification letter will be kept in the student’s file.

Re-Enrolling within a term

In the event a student decides to rescind his or her official notification to withdraw, the student must provide a signed and dated written statement that he/she is continuing his or her program of study and intends to complete the period of enrollment. Federal Title IV assistance will continue as originally planned. If the student subsequently fails to attend or ceases attendance without completing the period of enrollment, the student’s withdrawal date is the original date of notification of intent to withdraw.

Officially withdrawing from classes may affect the student’s future eligibility for financial aid due to Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements and R2T4 balances owed.

Students are urged to contact the SCC Financial Aid Office at (636) 922-8601 or before dropping, withdrawing or stopping attendance in classes to understand the impact on financial aid awards, such as reduction of aid and Satisfactory Academic Progress.

Unofficial Withdrawal

Unofficial withdrawals encompass all other withdrawals in which the student ceases physical attendance and/or academically related activity and does not provide official notification to SCC. This includes module students that do not successfully complete at least half of their scheduled coursework – see “definition of a module”.  Successful completion means receiving a passing letter grade of ‘D’ or above. Note: please see section on definition of academic attendance/academically-related activity. If a student receives a failing grade for a course(s) it will be assigned a last date of attendance (LDA) from the instructor. The LDA is used to calculate the R2T4.

Unofficially withdrawing from classes may affect the student’s future eligibility for financial aid due to Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements and R2T4 balances owed.

Definition of a Module

Modules are classes that do not span the entire length of the term. Any student who is enrolled in at least one Federal Title IV aid eligible class that is less than the length of the term is classified for that term as a module student.

Module students are not considered withdrawn if they meet any of the following criteria:

  • The student completed all requirements for graduation
  • The student successfully completed Federal Title IV aid eligible classes in one or combination of modules that equals 49% or more of the number of countable days in the period.
  • The student successfully completed Federal Title IV aid eligible classes equal or greater than half time enrollment at time of withdrawal

Definition of Academic Attendance/Academically-related activity

The following definition of academic attendance and an academically-related activity applies to all schools regardless of whether the school is required to take attendance. 34 CFR 668.22 (l)(7)(l)

Academic attendance and academically-related activity includes but is not limited to:

  • Physically attending a class or participating in an online course where there is an opportunity for direct interaction between the instructor and students. Examples may include lecture, recitation, field or laboratory activity;
  • Submitting an academic assignment;
  • Taking an exam, an interactive tutorial, or computer-assisted instruction;
  • Attending a study group assigned by the school;
  • Participating in an online discussion about academic matters; or
  • Initiating contact with a faculty member to ask a question about the academic subject studied in the course.

The definition of academic attendance and academically-related activity does not include activities where a student may be present, but not academically engaged, such as:

  • Living in institutional housing;
  • Participating in the school’s meal plan;
  • Participating in a student-organized study group;
  • Logging into an online class without active participation; or
  • Participating in academic counseling or advising.
SCC logo

4601 Mid Rivers Mall Drive
Cofttleville, MO 63376

© 2024 St. Charles Community College.