Apply for the Honoring Military Families Scholarship.
Student Veterans Organization
We are honored to recognize veterans for their academic achievement and military service to our nation.
It's our turn to serve you.
At SCC we strive to do our best to ensure educational success for some of the nation’s best and brightest students – our service members and veterans.
We are honored to partner with an active Student Veterans Organization to conduct various campus activities year-round, including a full Veterans Week in the fall. In May we host a Medaling Ceremony to recognize graduating service members and veterans.
With a dedicated veteran services coordinator (who is a veteran), a Student Veterans Lounge and hundreds of military-affiliated students attending SCC, service members and veterans here are never far from their peers.
Here's what you need to know to make the admissions process as smooth as possible:
- Complete an SCC Application for Admission.
- Request that your military transcript (https://jst.doded.mil) and official transcripts (https://www.stchas.edu/academics/grades-transcripts-records/) from EACH educational institution you've attended be sent to the SCC Enrollment Services Department. Complete the Eform "Request for Evaluation of Transfer Credit" in your student portal.About two weeks after we receive your transcripts, you'll receive a transfer evaluation report showing which courses were accepted.
- Take the Academic Skills Assessment.
View the SCC placement tool
- Visit Academic Advising to get enrolled in classes. Take time to meet with the coordinator of veteran services in ADM 1113 to discuss VA education funding
- Enroll in our crash course for college – if you're a first-time freshman you're required to take "College Success Seminar" (COL-101).
Important: Students who withdraw from COL 101 will have a "hold" put on their registration for the following semester. Have questions? Contact an advisor.
- Submit a Veteran Certification Request Eform in your student portal (under Quick Links > Eforms > Forms > "Certify My VA Benefit")
- Pay tuition and fees in full. You'll be dropped from all your courses if you fail to pay your tuition in full by the due date.
- If you're receiving education benefits under Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehab) or Chapter 33 (Post 9/11), your classes will be held upon receipt of your Veteran Certification Request Form. This request needs to be completed seven business days prior to the payment due date to secure your courses.
- Students receiving education benefits under any of the following can either a) pay for courses in full by the tuition payment deadline; or b) enroll in a Nelnet No Down Payment plan, which can be requested on the VA Certification Request form ("Certify My VA Benefit"):
- Chapter 30
- Chapter 35
- Chapter 1606
- Chapter 1607
- Get your picture ID and parking tag.
- Buy your textbooks.
- Login to mySCC portal. This is where you'll access student tools like Canvas, CougarMail, Tech Help Desk and SCC Connection (grades, GPA, register for classes, etc.). You can also find campus announcements, news and events in the portal.
Veteran Success Stories
“I really enjoyed the logistics of the welding process.”
Learn More >>
"I have the opportunity to help bring healing through art.”
Learn More >>
"My passion for community colleges all started at SCC."
Learn More >>