Visited Pages Headline
Take advantage of this at-a-glance look at the pages on the SCC website you most often visit. Use this as a tool to navigate quickly to info you need the most. Take it one step further and click the star in the top right corner to ensure your favorite pages remain on your list of Visited Pages.
It's our turn to serve you.
As a veteran, you rank high in our eyes. SCC has been designated a 2015 Military-Friendly school, which honors the schools who are doing the most to ensure educational success for veterans.
With veterans' scholarship programs, a Student Veterans Organization, Student Veterans Lounge and Veterans Week events in the fall, we're prepared to do everything we can to help ease the transition from military life to college life.
Here's what you need to know to make the admissions process as smooth as possible:
- You can apply any time during the year.
- First, you'll want to apply for VA Education Benefits (GI Bill). Keep in mind – this can take up to 90 days.
- Complete an SCC Application for Admission.
- Request that your military transcript and official transcripts from EACH educational institution you've attended be sent to the SCC Enrollment Services Department.
- Submit a Request for Transfer Evaluation Form (if sending transcripts) and declare a degree. This is important – transcripts sent to SCC without this form won't be automatically evaluated.
About two weeks after we receive your transcripts, you'll receive a transfer evaluation report showing which courses were accepted.
- Apply for financial assistance and scholarships.
If you've completed English or math at another college, you may not have to take the full assessment, but we'll need to see a "proof of prerequisite." (That's a fancy way of saying grades or transcript.)
If you took the ACT within the past two years …
ACT PLACEMENT SCORE INFORMATION: If you received at least the minimum score on the ACT sub-tests listed below, yay you – you are NOT required to take the Academic Skills Assessment!
- E-ACT 21 = ENG 101 – English Composition I
- E-ACT 27 = ENG 102 – English Composition II
- R-ACT 18 = Reading Not Required
- M-ACT 23 = College Algebra (with a score of 23 or greater, you may take the math assessment to place into a higher level math class)
A couple of things you need to know:
- If you placed high enough in one subject to waive the assessment test, but not in another, you'll need to take the assessment test for that particular subject area.
- Wires sometimes get crossed, so please bring a copy of your ACT scores, just in case they haven't been loaded into our system yet.
- Complete a "What's Next?" pre-advising registration preparation session.
- Meet with the coordinator of veteran services and register for classes.
- Attend the New Veteran Orientation or COL 101 – if you're a first-time freshman taking 9 or more credit hours in fall or spring, or 5 or more credit hours in summer, you're required to take "College Success Seminar" (COL-101).
Students who withdraw from COL 101 will have a "hold" put on their registration for the following semester. Have questions? Visit Academic Counseling.
- Submit a Veteran Certification Request Form.
- Pay tuition and fees in full. You'll be dropped from all your courses if you fail to pay your tuition in full by the due date.
- If you're receiving education benefits under Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehab) or Chapter 33 (Post 9/11), your classes will be held upon receipt of your Veteran Certification Request Form. This request needs to be completed seven business days prior to the payment due date to secure your courses.
- Students receiving education benefits under any of the following are required to pay for courses by the tuition payment deadline:
- Chapter 30
- Chapter 35
- Chapter 1606
- Chapter 1607
- Get your picture ID and parking tag.
- Buy your textbooks.
- Login to mySCC portal. This is where you'll access student tools like Canvas, CougarMail, Tech Help Desk and SCC Connection (grades, GPA, register for classes, etc.). You can also find campus announcements, news and events in the portal.