Practical Nursing (LPN) Admission Requirements
To complete an application for the Practical Nursing program, email email@example.com for more information or click here to schedule an appointment with an allied health counselor.
To apply for the LPN program, students must meet with an allied health advisor. Students may only apply after the following application requirements have been completed:
Step 1 - Apply to St. Charles Community College and Complete Assessments
- Students must complete the assessment test and/or submit official transcripts for English and math courses passed with a grade of "C" or better.
- Students must have all official transcripts on file and complete the "Request for Transcript Evaluation" form in your mySCC Portal PRIOR to applying for the Practical Nursing program.
- Sign into your SCC Portal>Quick Links>eForms>Request for Evaluation of Transfer Credit - complete the required information and click submit.
- Students must successfully complete any required developmental coursework (RDG 085, 092, 093; ENG 095, 096; or MAT 096) or equivalent ESL required courses.
Step 2 - Essentials of Anatomy and Physiology (BIO 200A/B) or Anatomy and Physiology I (BIO 250A/B) Course
- Students must complete Essentials of Anatomy and Physiology (BIO 200A/B) or Anatomy and Physiology I (BIO 250A/B) and earn a "C" or better to be eligible for application.
- Essentials of Anatomy and Physiology (BIO 200A/B) or Anatomy and Physiology I (BIO 250A/B) must be completed within five years of admission to the PN program.
Step 3 - Grade Point Average
- Earn a 2.7 GPA on 12+ completed college-level credits or a 2.5 GPA with 22 ACT, 2.6 GPA with 21 ACT, or 2.7 GPA with 20 ACT (see scale)
- Developmental and pass/fail courses do not count toward the credit hours or GPA calculation.
Step 4 - ACT Test (if applicable)
- ACT score requirement is based on current GPA (see sliding scale).
- ACT must have been taken within five years from program start.
- Register for the ACT through www.actstudent.org.
- St. Charles Community College is a testing site, but the ACT can be taken at any location.
- The ACT will be waived for students who meet the following criteria:
- Completed a Bachelor's Degree and have a minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Completed an associate degree and have a minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Completed 30+ transferable college-level credit hours and a minimum GPA of 3.0.
Sliding Scale ACT/GPA
Required ACT score correlates to a student's GPA range.
Step 5 - HESI A2 Exam
- Students must complete the HESI A2 and earn a
minimum70% on each of the following academic subject areas: Reading Comprehension, Vocabulary, Math, and Anatomy and Physiology.
- For more details, see the HESI A2 Information Guide.
REMEMBER: To apply for the LPN program, students must meet with an allied health counselor.
Practical Nursing Program
Deadline* Program Start
October 20th Spring
March 20th Fall
*When the application deadline falls on a Saturday or
Sunday, the application is due the preceding Friday.
Applications submitted after the deadline will be considered when space permits.
- Admission criteria are subject to change -
NOTE: It is the student’s responsibility to supply documentation that requirements are met and to maintain awareness of deadlines, academic status, course requirements, etc.