ACE Center Chat
Applying is easy! We have an open-admission policy, which means if you have a high school diploma or its equivalent, you’re in and we can’t wait to see you in the halls.
See all the options that make SCC affordable for all.
Make a smooth transition to a four-year institution.
This program was established to provide a criminal justice program focusing on law enforcement that is affordable, accessible and responsive to the changing needs of law enforcement and the community at large.
- We are dedicated to offering Applied Science and Associate of Arts degrees that prepare students for careers in law enforcement and other criminal justice paths.
- We work to help students achieve personal and professional objectives by providing support services with a strong emphasis on academic advisement, learning resources, assessment, career planning and placement, and co-curricular activities.
- We develop partnerships with public and private agencies, civic groups and institutions for educational, cultural and economic development in the communities we serve.
- We recruit and retain highly professional faculty committed to excellence in instructional service and create an environment appropriate for learning.
Careers in Criminal Justice
The Criminal Justice/Law Enforcement curriculum at St. Charles Community College is planned for three types of students.
- Those who plan to work for law enforcement agencies.
- Those already employed as law officers who wish to advance their careers.
- Those preparing for advanced study in police management, criminology, social welfare and other related fields.
Types of Jobs Available
- City police do patrol duty, traffic duty and detective work.
- Sheriffs and deputy sheriffs enforce the law in rural areas of the county or places where there is no local police department.
- State police (highway patrol) enforce motor vehicle codes and traffic laws and carry out general law enforcement and investigation duties in rural areas throughout the state.
- Federal law enforcement agencies include the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Drug Enforcement Administration, Border Patrol, Internal Revenue Service and the Secret Service (a bachelor's degree usually is required to work in federal agencies).
Majors, Degrees & Certificates
Criminal Justice Success Stories
"It’s crazy how my life jumpstarted because SCC!"
Learn More >>
“I came to SCC to get my general education courses out of the way.”
Learn More >>