Course and Degree Information

Course Information

Add/Withdraw From a Credit Class

The procedures for withdrawing, adding and auditing courses are described below. The registration and tuition refund appeal process is also described.

Course Withdrawal

To withdraw from a course, you may use SCC Connection or complete a Registration Add/Drop Form. Bring the completed form to the Enrollment Services Department.

  • By officially withdrawing from a course before the end of the 10th week of classes, you will receive a 'W' on your transcript.
  • Do not stop attending a course without officially withdrawing or you will receive an 'F' grade for the course(s).
  • The add/drop form must be submitted to the Enrollment Services Department by the stated withdrawal dates for a given term. Withdrawal dates can be found in the credit course schedule, at the Enrollment Services Department and on the Academic Calendar.
  • Students may drop a course with a 'W' through the end of the 10th class week during a regular term; this varies during abbreviated and short-term class sessions.
  • Tuition Refund Policy.

Adding a Course

To add a course, complete the Registration Add/Drop Form. Courses can only be added during open registration dates.

Attendance Policy

The college has no plan of recognized class “cuts” or absences. You should attend all class meetings in which you are enrolled. In general, students are considered excessively absent when they have missed a class more times than the credit hour value of the course. Excessive absence may be sufficient cause to fail the course. For distance classes, “attendance” will be defined as active participation in the course as described in the individual course syllabus. The final decision as to what constitutes excessive absence from a class is left to the instructor and will be outlined in the course syllabus. Students should discuss any absences with their instructor.

Auditing a Course

If you wish to attend a course without taking an examination or receiving credit for the course, you may register on an audit basis by completing the Registration Form and selecting the audit section on the form.

Students who register on an audit basis will pay the regular tuition rate and must meet the course prerequisites or receive special permission from the instructor.

If you wish to change from audit to credit or from credit to audit after the course is underway, you must process the change through the Enrollment Services Department before the specified date for a particular term. Dates are prorated for courses less than 16 weeks in duration. Students cannot count audited courses to establish full-time or part-time status.

Repeating a Course

You may repeat any credit course one time. All grades from each attempt are recorded on the transcript, but SCC will use the higher grade to calculate the grade point average (GPA). Exceptions to this rule include PE activity courses and some music courses, in which all attempts will be calculated in the student’s GPA. For financial assistance eligibility, all attempts will count towards maximum hour limits and completion ratio.

Some colleges and universities will recalculate the grade point average for admissions purposes and include both grades earned.

Students wishing to attempt a course for the third time must speak with a counselor or the department chair to obtain permission to enroll. In general, courses may not be attempted a fourth time.

Registration and Tuition Refund Appeal Process

The registration and tuition refund appeal process is available to students who feel they warrant an exception to the college’s withdrawal/refund policies. Exceptions to the college’s established policies are not made lightly and will generally be considered only for extenuating circumstances.

Examples of extenuating circumstances include: Medical issues, death of a family member or physician's orders restricting school attendance. The committee decides each case on its own merit.

To file an appeal: Complete the appeal form and include a written statement explaining in detail the circumstance leading to the appeal and include supporting documentation (doctor's orders, death certificates, etc.). Submit the entire appeal packet to the Enrollment Services Department (ADM 1113).

The committee meets the third Wednesday of each month. Materials are confidential and only shared with committee members. Completed appeal packets received by noon on the second Wednesday of the month will be included in the following week’s meeting. Appeals submitted after this time will be reviewed at the next month's meeting.

The submission of an appeal does not guarantee approval. Students are notified in writing of the committee’s decision within seven working days of the appeal meeting.

If your appeal is denied, you may appeal the decision in person at the next appeals meeting by calling 636-922-8235.

Change of Major

Students wishing to change majors or declare a major must complete a Change of Major form and submit the form to the Enrollment Services Office (ADM 1113).

Understanding Pre- and Corequisites

Some courses offered at SCC require either a prerequisite or co-requisite (or both) before enrolling. All prerequisites or co-requisites are identified in the Course Descriptions section of the SCC catalog.

If you have already completed an identified prerequisite at another college, proof of prerequisite (report card or transcript) will be required. An advisor or enrollment services assistant can verify that the prerequisite has been fulfilled.

Prerequisite Defined

A prerequisite is a condition of enrollment that you are required to meet prior to enrolling in a course. These prerequisite courses provide the minimum level of proficiency knowledge needed for successful achievement in the next level course.

  • You must obtain written approval of any exceptions. Exceptions to prerequisites may be made by the student talking with the course instructor and having them sign the registration form. This form must then be returned to Enrollment Services.
  • If you are taking or have just completed a prerequisite course for which SCC has not yet received grades, you may register for the advanced course; however, you must withdraw from the advanced course if the grade you received does not satisfy the requirement of "successful completion."*

    *Grades of F (Failing), I (Incomplete), R (Re-enroll), V (Audit), and W (Withdrawal) do not constitute successfully completing a prerequisite. Some courses designate attainment of a higher successful grade, for example a grade of C or better, in their prerequisite course(s).  A note signed by the course instructor who issued the “I” grade may suffice until the grade change has been administratively processed. 

Example: Successfully complete Psychology 101 before enrolling in Psychology 201.

Co-requisite Defined

A co-requisite is a course that needs to be taken concurrently with another course. This is very typical with science courses.

  • You must sign up for both the course and any co-requisite. If you later wish to drop the course, you must also drop the co-requisite. If you fail the course, you may be allowed to repeat that course without retaking the co-requisite. However, you will not be allowed to advance in a sequence of courses until both have been successfully completed.

Example: CHM 101 and co-requisite CHM 103 (lab)

Independent Study

Independent study may be used to complete the requirements for regularly offered courses. If you wish to take a course on an independent study basis, you must get approval through the appropriate division dean. The course curriculum must be developed and pursued under the direction of a faculty member.

Service Learning Program

Students who sign up for a designated service learning course will select a service site that meets the instructor's requirements and looks of interest to the student. The student will contact the agency and discuss with the volunteer coordinator the available service options and times available to serve. They will keep track of their hours on the required hours log form (15 hours per semester is recommended, although the student may choose to do more). The log, signed by the volunteer coordinator, will be turned in to the faculty instructor. A reflection paper or presentation will be made to discuss the service learning.

Learn more about Service Learning.