|General Education Requirements (16-17 credits)|
|Mathematics||MAT 105||Applied Mathematics or higher||3-4|
|Communication||ENG 101||English Composition I||3|
|ENG 102 or||English Composition II|
|ENG 115 or||Technical Writing|
|COM 101 or||Oral Communication||3|
|COM 104 or||Small Group Communication|
|COM 106 or||Public Speaking|
|COM 110||Interpersonal Communication|
|Social Science||HIS 101 or||US History to 1877||3|
|HIS 102 or||US History Since 1877|
|POL 101||American Government|
|Natural Science||CHM 101 or||Introduction to Chemistry||3|
|BIO 105 or||Essentials in Biology|
|BIO 108 or||Trends in Science|
|BIO 110 or||Human Biology|
|PHE 240 or||Nutrition for Weight Management|
|PHY 105 or||Environmental Geology|
|PHY 111 or||Introduction to Physical Science|
|PHY 125 or||Introduction to Physical Geology|
|COL 101 or||College Success Seminar||1|
|Core Course Requirements (48 credits)|
|BTC/CPT 103||Microcomputer Applications||3|
|IT 110||Microsoft Technologies I||3|
|IT 210||Microsoft Technologies II||3|
|IT 130||Introduction to Linux||3|
|IT 230||Linux Administration||3|
|IT 151||CCNA1 (Introduction to Networks)||4|
|IT 152||CCNA2 (Switching, Routing, Wireless Essentials)||4|
|IT 140||Programming for System Administrators||3|
|IT 172||Digital Forensics||3|
|IT 171||Ethical Hacking||3|
|IT 173||Topics in Cyber Security I||3|
|IT 270||Network Security||4|
|IT 271||Penetration Testing||3|
|IT 273||Topics in Cyber Security II||3|
|Total Required Hours: 64-65 credits|
Recently Visited Pages
Take advantage of this at-a-glance look at the pages on the SCC website you most often visit. Use this as a tool to navigate quickly to info you need the most. Take it one step further and click the star in the top right corner to ensure your favorite pages remain on your list of Visited Pages.
Cyber Security A.A.S.
Applying is easy! We have an open-admission policy, which means if you have a high school diploma or its equivalent, you’re in and we can’t wait to see you in the halls.
Cyber Security A.A.S.
Department: Information Technology
Total Credit Hours: 64 - 65 credits
SCC Pathways are designed to help you create an educational plan with relevant and relatable courses to fill your schedule. Click below to access a map.
What Is Cyber Security?
Cyber security professionals control access to information and prevent unauthorized tampering or disclosure of information.
Information security analysts plan and carry out security measures to protect an organization’s computer networks and systems. Their responsibilities are continually expanding as the number of cyberattacks increases. Duties typically include:
- Monitor their organization’s networks for security breaches and investigate a violation when one occurs
- Install and use software, such as firewalls and data encryption programs, to protect sensitive information
- Prepare reports that document security breaches and the extent of the damage caused by the breaches
- Conduct penetration testing, which is when analysts simulate attacks to look for vulnerabilities in their systems before they can be exploited
- Research the latest information technology (IT) security trends
- Develop security standards and best practices for their organization
- Recommend security enhancements to management or senior IT staff
- Help computer users when they need to install or learn about new security products and procedures
- IT security analysts are heavily involved with creating their organization’s disaster recovery plan, a procedure that IT employees follow in case of emergency. These plans allow for the continued operation of an organization’s IT department. The recovery plan includes preventive measures such as regularly copying and transferring data to an offsite location. It also involves plans to restore proper IT functioning after a disaster. Analysts continually test the steps in their recovery plans
- Information security analysts must stay up to date on IT security and on the latest methods attackers are using to infiltrate computer systems. Analysts need to research new security technology to decide what will most effectively protect their organization.
The median annual wage for information security analysts is $95,510.
Cyber Security Careers
SCC graduates are employed in a broad range of careers including, but not limited to: network security administrator, network security engineer, information systems security manager, systems security administrator, data security analyst, penetration tester, and chief security officer.
Related Pathways, Degrees & Certificates
- Biology A.S.
- Chemistry A.S.
- Computer Science A.A.S. (Computer Programming, Management Information Systems, Database Management, Data Analytics, Animation and Gaming, GIS)
- Computer Science A.S.
- Computer Science Transfer Program Schedule Guide, A.A.
- Computer Security C.S.
- Data Management C.A.
- Desktop Support C.S.
- Information Technology A.A.S.
- Information Technology C.A.
- IT Project Management C.S.
- Multimedia and Web Development A.A.S.
- Multimedia C.A.
- Multimedia C.S.
- Networking A.A.S.
- Networking C.S.
- Pre-Environmental Health and Safety A.S.
- Pre-Pharmacy A.S.
- Programming C.S.
- Programming Languages C.A.
- Sociology Transfer Program Schedule Guide, A.A.
- System Administration C.S.
- Web Design C.A.
- Web Development C.S.
- Web Media C.S.