Applying is easy! We have an open-admission policy, which means if you have a high school diploma or its equivalent, you’re in and we can’t wait to see you in the halls.
See all the options that make SCC affordable for all.
Make a smooth transition to a four-year institution.
Health Information Management
Successful completion of the Associate of Applied Science (AAS) in Health Information Management program allows students to sit for the Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) certification. Health Information Management (HIM) improves the quality of healthcare by ensuring the best information is available to make any healthcare decision. Do you want to know more about Health Information Management? Visit the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) website: Health Information 101.
The profession encompasses services in planning, collecting, aggregating, analyzing, and disseminating individual patient and clinical data. Practitioners work for healthcare facilities, billers and coders, research and policy agencies, and other related industries. See the AHIMA Career Map for additional career pathways and occupational details.
The Health Information Management accreditor of St Charles Community College is the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM). The College’s accreditation for the Associate of Applied Science degree in Health Information Management has been reaffirmed through 2029-2030. All inquiries about the program’s accreditation status should be directed by mail to CAHIIM, 200 East Randolph Street, Suite 5100, Chicago, IL, 60601; by phone at (312) 235-3255; or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Admission Requirements and Relevant Information
Application and Admission Requirements
- Apply to St. Charles Community College and complete assessment test (when applicable) in the Student Center, room 133 (SC133).
- Submit official transcripts from any previously attended institution to Enrollment Services (SCC Main 1200).
- Complete ENG 096, MAT 096, developmental reading, and/or ESL courses (when applicable).
- Complete ENG 101 and CPT 103 with a "C" or better.
- Students must have a 2.5 GPA on college-level coursework.
- Students must have 6 hours of completed college-level coursework.
To apply for program admission, meet with an Allied Health Advisor. To inquire about the program, email email@example.com.
Program Outcomes 2022
- Graduation Rate 95%
- Employment Rate 6 Months Post Graduation 95%
- Student Satisfaction Rate 100%
Relevant Program Information
- The Associate of Applied Science in Health Information Management program is primarily online; however, students will participate in a professional practice experience (PPE) at a medical facility.
- Students must complete a background check and drug screen. Findings may affect admission to the program.
- MAT 098 is a prerequisite for MAT 146. Students must earn a "C" or better to enter this course.
- Students are required to complete one Professional Practicum Experience (PPE) on-site at medical facility (locations will vary).
- The PPE is a minimum of 40 hours over the course of the last semester of the program.
Student Success Testimonials
St. Charles Community College has a great reputation with leading industry partners. Our graduates are sought after for their scope of knowledge, professionalism, and passion for the field. Check out some student success stories to find out how the program prepares students for their future in health care.
HIM Student Success Stories