The ACE Tutoring Center is a resource for St. Charles Community College students. The quality of final papers is determined by the students’ own abilities and efforts.
- ACE Tutoring Center learning specialists will provide assistance to students with:
- research papers in any subject
- grammar instruction.
- ACE learning specialists will give suggestions and point out prevalent grammatical errors. Students will be guided to make their own corrections and changes. The final product must be that of the student, not the ACE learning specialists. In addition, ACE learning specialists do not proofread papers.
- ACE learning specialists will work only with papers that have been assigned in SCC courses in which students are currently enrolled.
- Students’ rough drafts must be typed.
- ACE learning specialists want to provide students with the best guidance possible; please plan ahead when making appointments in order to allow time to revise work.
- Online tutoring for writing:
Students may come into the ACE Tutoring Center for help at any stage of the writing process. Such assistance may include the following:
- Discussing the assignment.
- Developing ideas.
Assistance with typed rough drafts
- Fulfillment of the assignment.
- Thesis statement/conclusion.
- Organization and development.
- Grammatical and punctuation problems.
- MLA, APA, and CMS documentation.
- Appointments will be cancelled for students who are ten minutes late, and the next student waiting will be helped. Three no-shows and/or cancellations will cause restrictions on making future appointments.
- An SCC student I.D. is required for any services or materials used in the ACE Tutoring Center.
- Students are asked to check in at the front desk when using any of the ACE Tutoring Center services or materials – even if only for a moment.
- Cell phones should not be used while in the ACE Tutoring Center; please silence the ringers.
- No food, drink or children are allowed in the ACE Tutoring Center.
See English Policy
Students in English as a Second Language (ESL) classes are given assistance in writing, general language structure, and conversation practice.