Transfer and Articulation Credits, High School and College


The coordination of curriculum between two educational institutions that helps students avoid repeating coursework unnecessarily.

High School

SCC has developed articulation agreements with a number of area high schools.  If you are thinking about a two-year career-technical degree, taking articulated courses in high school is a smart idea.  You can potentially earn college credit toward an AAS degree at SCC while you’re in high school.  Students must present SCC with a completed copy of the articulation agreement at the time of enrollment. 

Articulation Criteria

  • Articulated courses have been designed for credit both at your high school and for credit at SCC toward an Associate of Applied Science degree, but not for the Associate of Arts (transfer) degree.
  • A grade of “B” or better is required in all high school coursework that is articulated.
  • The student must complete the SCC application form  and request their high school to send an official copy of their transcript to the SCC Enrollment Services Department (ADM 1113). 
  • When meeting with an SCC academic counselor or registration assistant, students must identify themselves as having articulated credit through their high school.  Students must present the white copy of the Certificate of Credit to Enrollment Services.
  • Students must complete 6 hours of college-level coursework towards an AAS degree at St. Charles Community College with a 2.5 or higher GPA before articulation credit will be posted to the SCC transcript.
  • Students must request that the SCC Enrollment Services Department record the Articulated High School Courses to the SCC transcript.  
  • Should students wish to transfer any of these articulated credits from St. Charles Community College to another college or university, they should check with an academic counselor at the transfer institution to determine if credit will transfer. 

 See the high school articulation agreements page for detailed information.


Students transfer many courses into and out of St. Charles Community College.  SCC is signatory to the Statewide (Missouri) General Education and Credit Transfer Policy Agreement.   This agreement assists students who transfer their general education core from one signatory institution to another.   Courses taken for credit at St. Charles Community College are generally accepted in transfer by other colleges, provided grades are satisfactory and courses taken are appropriate to the degree sought.

Transfer Policies for Transferring Credits Into SCC

Students transferring from other colleges or universities are eligible for admission to SCC with advanced standing. Credits for courses in which passing grades have been earned may be accepted in transfer at the registrar’s discretion. Students who want to transfer credits to SCC from an accredited college or university may do so by requesting that official transcripts from each institution attended be sent directly to the Enrollment Services Department.

In order for credits to be evaluated, students must complete a “Request for Evaluation of Transfer Credit” form. Request forms are available in the Enrollment Services Department or online.

Transcripts sent to SCC are not automatically reviewed unless a student requests in writing that a review be made by the registrar.  Accepted transfer credits will be included in the cumulative hours of credit at SCC but will not be calculated into the cumulative grade point average.

Students, who have served in the military, may be granted two hours of college credit in physical education. In some limited situations, students may qualify for additional credit.

Retroactive credit is available to students who enroll for the first time in a foreign language course and who have already studied the target language before attending St. Charles Community College. SCC will not grant credit for course work in which a student has already earned credit through another source, such as advanced placement, testing, or transfer.  Only students who complete language courses 102, 201, or 202 with a grade of 75 percent or better may receive retroactive credit for foreign language courses 101 or 102. Since native speakers may not enroll nor be given credit for foreign language courses in their native language, they are not eligible to receive retroactive credit for these courses. Retroactive credit is available only to students who are eligible to enroll in the courses that they are bypassing. Students planning to transfer are advised that some colleges and universities do not accept retroactive credit.

St. Charles Community College recognizes that some people may have gained knowledge and experience during their lifetimes that qualifies as course work credit. Therefore, students may be able to translate previously acquired knowledge into college credit through one of the non-traditional avenues that SCC offers. Credit by proficiency examination is one method of earning college credit. In some instances, a student may be able to complete a department exam and be eligible to receive college credit. Students also may be awarded credit for the successful completion of the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) or the Proficiency Examination Program (PEP) or the Advanced Placement Program (AP).

A “Non Traditional Credit” brochure is available in print and on-line listing the courses that are accepted through the CLEP, PEP and AP program and includes the course equivalency and required minimum score for credit. 

Several instructional departments offer examinations for students who have acquired knowledge in a particular subject area. Students may petition to receive credit in a course by taking a departmental examination. The college can refuse permission if a student is considered insufficiently prepared. Students must be a SCC credit student and have completed 15 hours of SCC credit or be currently enrolled in 6 credit hours at SCC prior to eligibility for credit by exam. The exams will be given after the drop date for the current semester. The cost of examination is equal to one credit hour of in-district tuition. Tutoring is not provided, nor is passing the examination guaranteed.

Students may appeal their evaluation results by sending a letter requesting the appeal and documentation (course description and syllabus) supporting their requested change to the transfer credit evaluator.   The Transcript Evaluator then submits the request and documentation to the division dean for review. A decision will be made within 7 to 10 days. The student may also contact the articulation officer at the sending institution.

Students may also contact Missouri’s Coordinating Board for Higher Education under the approved credit transfer policy that states that any transfer student who believes there has been unfair treatment involving acceptance of college credits may appeal the evaluation.

Transferring Credits From SCC to Other Post-Secondary Institutions

Agreements with four-year colleges and universities and accreditation by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools help assure that credits earned toward a degree at St. Charles Community College will transfer to a four-year institution.

However, it is important that you decide on a major field of study and follow a transfer guide that outlines courses that will transfer into that curriculum for the institution to which you will transfer. Academic counselors at both SCC and your transfer institution will assist you. Ultimate responsibility lies with the student to obtain a guarantee of course transferability from the institution of choice. Most universities set a limitation on the number of credit hours that are accepted for transfer from a two-year college. Check with the Academic Advising Department (ADM 1204) for information on transfer agreements with Missouri four-year institutions. See our transfer guides page for a comprehensive listing of the colleges with which SCC has articulation agreements.

Generally, college transfer program courses at SCC will satisfy various departmental, general education, elective and degree requirements at other colleges. However, career-technical program courses may not transfer because these programs are designed to prepare you for employment rather than for pursuit of a four-year degree.

If you experience problems with transferring courses to other colleges/universities, contact the transfer and articulation counselor (ADM 1204) for assistance with an appeal to the receiving institution.

If your issue is not resolved by the institution, you may contact COTA (Committee on Transfer and Articulation). COTA will review the case and make non-binding recommendation to all institutions involved. This recommendation will be reported to the Coordinating Board for Higher Education. For more information on this process, see the Missouri Department of Higher Education document, “Transfer Students, Your Rights and Responsibilities.”

Contact Info

Office Hours

8 a.m.-7 p.m.

9 a.m.-4:30 p.m.

Office Location

Enrollment Services
Administration Building, Room 1113


Schedule an Appointment Online

Office Phone Number