Recently Visited Pages
Take advantage of this at-a-glance look at the pages on the SCC website you most often visit. Use this as a tool to navigate quickly to info you need the most. Take it one step further and click the star in the top right corner to ensure your favorite pages remain on your list of Visited Pages.
New wine education classes to be offered at SCC
Dec. 18, 2018
WHAT: Wine Around the World Series
WHEN: 6:30-8:30 p.m. on Tuesdays: Jan. 22, Feb. 12, March 12, April 23, May 21, 2019
WHERE: Rack House Kitchen Wine Whiskey, 5065 State Highway N in Cottleville
COST: $50 or $55 depending on class, or $250 for entire series ($10 discount)
CONTACT INFO: Continuing Education Department at 636-922-8233 or stchas.edu/learnforlife.
NEWS STORY FORMAT
New “Wine Around the World” wine education classes to be offered at SCC
St. Charles Community College will be offering diverse wine education classes this spring. Discover varieties of wines produced in different regions around the world.
The “Wine Around the World” series will consist of 5 classes that allow participants to taste wines and pair them with delicious food samplings. For pairing, an expert chef, Chef Phillip, will create customized dishes inspired by the regional wines.
Participants will not only learn about the wines and pairings in each class, but they will also learn about each specific growing region.
Classes are designed for all levels of wine enthusiasts and are held at the Rack House Kitchen Wine Whiskey.
Class sessions offered:
- Sangiovese: Wines of Italy (Jan. 22, $55)
- Learn why this grape is the #1 planted variety in Italy, and see what difference terroir wines that have a unique taste because of the land they come from and clonal variety make. Delve into the different laws and classifications of Italina wine (IGT, DOC & DOCG), and discern the difference between traditional and modern producers.
- Sensational Spanish Wine (Feb. 12, $50)
- Explore the birthplace of many familiar grapes and their fascinating history. Taste the critically-acclaimed results of their new generation of winemakers. From the crisp whites of Rias Baixas to the powerful reds of Rioja, you'll soon discover why Spain is a world leader in wine.
- Nebbiolo: Wines of Italy (March 12, $55)
- Nebbiolo is the most prominent grape of the Piedmont region of Italy and maybe the most important in all of Italy, famously known by the two production regions of Barolo and Barbaresco. Barolo being the King of wines and Barbarseco the delicate Queen, however, there are other prominent areas to discuss when it comes to the grape Nebbiolo.
- Syrah: New World vs. Old World (April 23, $50)
- Discover the big, bold and nuanced world of Syrah from the Old World in the Northern Rhone to New World offerings from California and Australia.
- Wines of the Great Northwest (May 21, $50)
- Taste why California gets all the country's attention, and the Northwestern U.S. has quietly created a world-class wine industry. We will showcase why Willamette Valley Ore., is known as the Burgundy of America and why Washington state's reds are a virtual staple on every wine list.
For information regarding enrollment in the Wine Around the World program, please contact Amy Fitzwilliam at 636-922-8233 or email@example.com.
St. Charles Community College is a public, comprehensive two-year community college with associate degrees and certificate programs in the arts, business, sciences and career-technical fields. SCC provides workforce training and community-based personal and professional development as well as cultural, recreational and entertainment opportunities. For more information, visit www.stchas.edu.