- Nursing (Associate's Degree) Admission Requirements
Nursing (Associate's Degree) Admission Requirements
Applications will be considered only after the following have been submitted and verified:
- Official high school transcript or G.E.D. certificate
- St. Charles Community College assessment tests completed (Room 133 in the Student Center) or transcripts on file for college level English or math courses passed with a grade of “C” or better.
- Any required developmental courses taken and passed
(RDG 091, 092, 093; ENG 095, 096; MAT 096, 098)
- Application fee of $25 is paid.
Admission to the Associate Degree Nursing (ADN) program is on a selective basis. Applicants must meet certain academic criteria for admission due to the academic demands of a curriculum that prepares graduates to take a national licensing examination and perform safe nursing care in clinical situations. A student who has been dismissed from any allied health program because the student was declared "unsafe" is ineligible for admission into any SCC allied health program. Students are eligible to enroll in the nursing courses only after the following requirements have been met:
- Must make an appointment (636-922-8246 or 636-922-8241) with a St. Charles Community College career/technical counselor to plan course work and begin application for the nursing program (Room 1204 in the Administration Building). Career/technical counselors see students on a walk-in basis. Students should meet with a counselor as soon as possible after you are eligible to complete the application. Your application date could influence your program start date.
- Admission to the nursing program is on a first come first served basis after all admission criteria have been met. It is recommended that students begin the application process as early as possible, since there has been a high demand for the nursing program.
- Must meet all of the college admissions requirements. ( See College Catalog).
- Have OFFICIAL copies of your college transcripts, from other colleges you attended, sent to the college registrar (hand carried transcripts will not be accepted). For courses you have completed at another college that you would like evaluated for application toward your degree at St. Charles Community College please complete a “Request for Credit Evaluation” form and submit to the college registrar in Room 1113 of the Administration Building.
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5 or above on high school transcripts five years old or less; or cumulative GPA of 2.5 or above on at least 12 credit hours of current college course work. If you are applying 12 credit hours of NON SCC courses, they must meet transfer eligibility. College credits supersede high school GPA. Effective 2014: Cumulative GPA of 2.8 or above on High School transcript, or cumulative GPA of 2.8 or above on at least 12 credit hours of current college course work. * See sliding scale for GPA/ACT.
- Applicants with a previous college degree must have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or above on the last 30 credit hours of college course work. Effective 2014: Applicants with a previous college degree must have a cumulative GPA of 2.8 on the last 30 credit hours of college course work. * See sliding scale for GPA/ACT.
- ACT Test Scores – REQUIRED – MINIMUM COMPOSITE SCORE OF 20. Effective 2014: ACT Test Scores-minimum composite score of 24. The test must have been taken within the last five(5) years. The ACT Test requirement may be waived for applicants who have previously earned a Bachelor's Degree with at least 36 hours of general education. * See sliding scale for GPA/ACT.
- Official copy of ACT Test scores should be sent to the Enrollment Services office (ADM 1113) so that scores can be recorded on your college record.
- ACT Test must have been taken within the last five years.
- ACT Test packets are available at St. Charles Community College. St. Charles Community College does administer the exam, but you must register with American College Testing.
- The ACT test requirement may be waived for applicants who have previously earned a Bachelor’s Degree.
* Sliding Scale ACT/GPA
- Students should submit an ACT score or documentation of a Bachelor’s degree, and fulfill the 2.5 GPA requirement by Aug. 15 of the year prior to the year they wish to enter the program. Applicants will be assigned a date to register for the dosage test in the order which they applied to the ADN program.
Effective 2014: Cumulative GPA of 2.8 is required. * See sliding scale for GPA/ACT. Applicants will be assigned a start date based on application date. This start date will be valid if all admission criteria are met by February 15'th.
- Must pass Dosage Calculations Test with a score of 90% or above. (See Preparing for the Dosage Calculation Test for more information.) Effective 2013 - Dosage test results will remain valid for two years, can only test three times within a calendar year: not twice within a 24 hour period.
- Effective for the class entering in August 2013, students must maintain a grade of "B" in all required science courses.
- All transfer and readmission students must apply for admission through the Admissions Committee. (An application form must be completed with a Career/Technical counselor.)
- The Nursing Admissions Committee meets three times each year as needed. Meetings are held at the end of Nov., March and early June.
- Students must submit supporting documentation and the Appeals Form to the Career Technical Counselors by Nov. 15, March 15 or May 1.
*Please note that admission to the nursing program is not final until the results from the mandatory drug screen and criminal background check are reviewed by the Director of Nursing programs and division Dean. Anyone testing positive on the drug screen, as determined by the medical review officer, will be denied admission and must reapply the following year. Students may be denied entry into the program based on criminal background results.
For further information on the Associate Degree Nursing Program, consult the St. Charles Community College Catalog or the ADN Student Handbook.