Veterans Enrollment Checklist
SCC is a SMART Place to Start Your College Education
Veterans, you may apply for admission anytime during the year. Admission to the college does not guarantee entrance into a particular course or program of study.
This list will help guide you through the enrollment process.
- Apply for VA Education Benefits (GI Bill). This process can take up to 90 days.
- Complete an SCC Application for Admission.
- Request that your military transcript and official transcripts from EACH institution that you attended be sent to the SCC Enrollment Services Department.
- Submit a Request for Transfer Evaluation Form (if sending transcripts) and declare a degree. Transcripts sent to SCC will only be reviewed when we have received your request.
You will receive a transfer evaluation report indicating how the courses were accepted. Please allow two weeks from the time the transcripts are received.
- Apply for Financial Assistance and Scholarships.
Take the Academic Skills Assessment.
If you have not completed college-level math or English or plan to take courses that require English or math as a prerequisite, you must take the assessment. If you have completed English and/or math at another college, the full assessment may not be needed; however, proof of prerequisite (report card or transcript) is required.
ACT PLACEMENT SCORE INFORMATION: If you achieved at least the minimum score on the ACT sub-tests listed below, you are NOT required to take the Academic Skills Assessment.
- E-ACT 18 = ENG-101
- R-ACT 18 = Reading Not Required
- M-ACT 23 = MAT 160
ACT Scores are valid for two years.
If you placed high enough in one subject area to waive the assessment test but not in another subject area, you will need to take the assessment test for that particular subject area.
Please bring a copy of your ACT scores in case the college does not have your scores loaded in our system.
- Complete a Smart Start Session
- Complete Smart Start Registration Online. Simply click: Smart Start! You cannot meet with an academic advisor or the Coordinator of Veteran Services until this orientation is complete.
- Meet with the Coordinator of Veteran Services and Register for Classes.
Attend the New Veteran Orientation or COL-101 – An orientation to College is required for all first-time freshmen who take 9 or more credit hours in fall or spring, or 5 or more credit hours in the summer term.
- Submit a Veteran Certification Request form
- Pay Tuition and Fees in Full. You will be dropped from all of your courses if you fail to pay your tuition in full by the due date.
- Students receiving education benefits under Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehab) or Chapter 33 (Post 9/11) will be held in their classes upon receipt of their Veteran Certification Request form. This request needs to be completed seven business days prior to the payment due date to secure your courses.
- Students receiving education benefits under Chapter 30, Chapter 35, Chapter 1606, Chapter 1607 or VRAP are required to pay for courses by the tuition payment deadline.
- Obtain your Picture ID and Parking Tag.
- Buy your Textbooks.
- Sign up for SCC Connection and CougarMail.
Access your final grades, personal SCC records and register for upcoming semesters. You must complete one full semester before you can register online but may create your SCC account two business days after you first register.
CougarMail is the college’s official means of communication. Set up your email account after creating your SCC Connection account. Important updates about VA benefits will be sent to your CougarMail.