Without High School Diploma/Certificate

Don’t Have a High School Diploma or a HiSET/GED Certificate But Want to Take Credit Classes?

Students come to SCC under many different circumstances, and that’s okay. You may want to take classes after leaving high school without getting your diploma or obtaining a HiSET/GED certificate. With a little guidance, we’ll get you where you want to go.

Here’s what you need to know:

If you have not earned a high school diploma, GED or HiSET certificate, you may be admitted to SCC with an Ability to Benefit status. In order to build a strong academic foundation before beginning college-level work, it is our recommendation that you first receive your high school diploma or its equivalent GED or HiSET.

This list was developed to help you through the enrollment process. If you follow all of the suggestions outlined, you should have a smooth start at SCC!

  1. Complete an Application for Admission.
  2. Take the Academic Skills Assessment.

    The assessment test is required for anyone who has not earned a high school diploma, GED or HiSET. Your results are used to determine your Ability to Benefit from course work.

  3. Apply for Financial Assistance and Scholarships.

    Financial Assistance Alert
    : Students who do not have a high school diploma or a recognized equivalent (e.g., GED, HiSET), or do not meet the home school requirements, and who first enroll in a program of study after July 1, 2012 will not be eligible to receive Title IV student aid. Visit the Financial Assistance Web page for more information.

  4. Meet With an Academic Counselor and Register for Classes.
    • Your test results will be reviewed with you by an academic counselor. If it is determined that you would benefit from college-level course work, a counselor will help you select the courses you need and help you register.
    • If it is determined that you are NOT able to benefit from college-level course work, or, if remedial course work is recommended you will be referred to the Adult Basic Education/HiSET preparation program. Students referred to the HiSET preparation program are expected to complete the HiSET in a reasonable time and should present the HiSET certificate to the Admissions Office for verification of completion.
    • COL 101 – Orientation to College is REQUIRED for all first-time freshmen who take 9 or more credit hours in fall or spring or 5 or more credit hours in the summer term.

  5. Pay Tuition and Fees in Full.

    You will be dropped from all of your courses if you fail to pay your tuition in full by the due date. Tuition/Fee information (In-district and Out-of-District).

    Save time – pay online via mySCC.

  6. Obtain Your Picture ID and Parking Tag.
  7. Buy Your Textbooks.

Access your final grades, personal SCC records and register for upcoming semesters. You must complete one full semester before you can register online.

SCC logo

4601 Mid Rivers Mall Drive
Cofttleville, MO 63376


© 2019 St. Charles Community College.