General Education Capstone Course
Event Details and Guideline Form
Event Title: Planned Communities
Gen. Ed. Category Event should be listed under: Social Science
SCC Competency addressed by event:
SS: Draw on the social sciences to evaluate the diversity and complexity of contemporary local and global issues to provide a better understanding of the student’s relationship to the social issues.
HOT: Make and defend conclusions using relevant evidence and reasoned arguments.
MI: Obtain information from a variety of sources and be able to critically analyze and evaluate the information for accuracy and relevance.
Guidelines for accomplishment of event
As the world becomes more populated, finding places for all these people to live become a more pressing issue. Creating more urban space, or changing existing spaces, is an enormous area of study and is particularly relevant in St. Charles which continues to grow quickly. This event will require that you do some research on the current thoughts on urban growth and compare those to a local planned community.
- Go to http://www.smartgrowth.org
a. Read the page including all the links in box on the right labeled “Smart Growth Principles”
- Select either New Town in St. Charles or Winghaven for your research.
a. Do your own research to learn about how your selected community was planned, its history, its present, its future plans, etc.
b. You can find some information online or by talking to a resident, but your information must be thorough.
- Take a tour with someone from the community and identify if it was created with “Smart Growth” Principles in mind. Determine if any of the "Smart Growth" principles were not successfully integrated into the community.
- Research another community (probably urban) which had become run down and then redeveloped using the "Smart Growth" principles. How does it differ from the new development in the suburbs?
- Produce a four page minimum paper in which you provide background on your selected communities, and detail how or if these communities adhered to each of the ten (10) Smart Growth Principles. Discuss whether or not "Smart Growth" can be effective in either or both urban and suburban settings. Provide a work cited page to recognize the sources used to obtain data.
SCC Event Creator: Ellen Wilson 636-922-8531
FOR FACULTY USE ONLY:
Did essay fulfill SCC competency? _____ YES _____ NO _____ PARTIALLY
Did essay fulfill event guidelines? _____ YES _____ NO _____ PARTIALLY