Credit By Examination: Non-Traditional Credit

Types of Non-Traditional Credit

CLEP | Advanced Placement | Departmental Exam | Retroactive Credit | Articulation Credits | Military Experience | PEP

Credit granted through one of the non-traditional processes will count towards the total credits earned towards graduation; however, the credit will not be calculated into the cumulative GPA. Colleges or universities to which you may transfer might not accept this credit. Likewise, SCC may or may not accept credit by examination taken elsewhere. Each institution makes its own evaluation of these issues.

College Level Examination (CLEP)

Evaluates knowledge acquired through sources other than traditional college course work. SCC will grant credit for certain subject CLEP examinations according to departmental guidelines. SCC does not grant credit for general CLEP exams.

Course/Subject AreaScore RequiredHours GrantedSCC Equivalent
American Government 50 3 POL 101
American History 1 50 3 HIS 101
American History 2 50 3 HIS 102
Management 50 3 BUS 201
Marketing 50 3 BUS 230 
Psychology 50 3 PSY 101
Sociology 50 3 SOC 101
Western Civilization 1 50 3 HIS 145
Western Civilization 2 50 3 HIS 146

Advanced Placement (AP)

Administered through area high schools allows a student to gain college credit through subject area testing.

Course/Subject AreaScore RequiredHours GrantedSCC Equivalent
Art History 3, 4 or 5 3 ART 150
Biology 4 or 5 4 BIO 150
Calculus AB 3, 4 or 5 5 MAT 180
Calculus BC 3, 4 or 5 10 MAT 180 & 230
English Language & Composition 4 or 5 3 ENG 101
Psychology 3, 4 or 5 3 PSY 101
U.S. Government & Politics 4 or 5 3 POL 101
U.S. History  4 or 5 3 HIS 101

Departmental Exams

Credit may be granted to a student who has in-depth knowledge of a subject. Discuss with the appropriate department chairperson whether you are prepared to take an exam. The department may refuse to administer the exam based on the evaluation. The fee for the exam must be paid before taking the test. Credits earned by examination will be equated to a specific SCC course and will be designated under the category of “non-course work” on the academic transcript.

Retroactive Credit

If you are able to enroll in a higher level foreign language course, and upon completion of that course with a 75% or better grade receive credit for the lower-level course or courses that were bypassed. Consult with the department chairperson for more information. Hours awarded vary.

Credit Through Articulation Process

SCC has agreed to grant college credit to students completing specified courses as stated in college-approved articulation (transfer) agreements with certain area career/technical programs and high schools. Credits apply ONLY to the Certificate of Achievement and Associate of Applied Science. Examples of courses included ACT-101, BUS-101, or some computer courses. Will be designated under the category of “non-course work” on the academic transcript. Students must present SCC with a completed copy of the articulation agreement at the time of enrollment.

Articulation Criteria

  • Articulated courses have been designed for credit both at your high school and for credit at SCC toward an Associate of Applied Science Degree, NOT for the Associate of Arts (transfer) Degree.
  • A grade of “B” or better is required in all high school coursework that is articulated.
  • The student must complete the SCC application and request that a high school official transcript be sent to the SCC Enrollment Services Department (ADM 1113).
  • When meeting with an SCC academic counselor or registration assistant, students must identify themselves as having articulated credit through their high school.
  • Students must present the white copy of the Certificate of Credit to Enrollment Services.
  • Students must complete 6 hours of college-level coursework toward an A.A.S. Degree at SCC with a 2.5 or higher GPA before articulation credit will be posted.
  • Students must request that the SCC Enrollment Services Department record the Articulated High School Courses to the SCC transcript.
  • Should students wish to transfer any of these articulated credits from SCC to another college or university, they should check with an academic counselor at the transfer institution to determine transferability.

Military Experience

Experience in the Armed Services may be considered for credit based upon recommendations of the American Council on Education Commission and the students intended major. Submit a military transcript and automatically be awarded 2 credit hours of Physical Education.  Contact the Coordinator of Veteran Benefits for information on obtaining a military transcript.

Proficiency Examination Program (PEP)

American College Testing (ACT) sponsors PEP, which evaluates specific subject area knowledge a student may have acquired through sources of training other than traditional course work. With a score of a 45, you may be granted credit for Anatomy & Physiology 1 & 2 (BIO-240/243 and BIO-241/244) (8 credits) or for Microbiology BIO-245/247 (4 credits).

Services Info

Office Hours

8 a.m.-7 p.m.

9 a.m.-4:30 p.m.

Office Location

Administration Building, Room 1113

Schedule an Advising Appointment

636-922-8241 – Advising

636-922-8234 – Registration

636-922-8601 – Financial Assistance