That '80s Run is presented by the Run Committee at St. Charles Community College. In 2006, the committee began offering health and wellness grants, up to $1,000 per grant, for college wellness projects. Since 2006, the college's Run Committee has funded 55 health and wellness grants totaling $42,035.23 2015 Health and Wellness Grants Awarded
Proceeds from the 2015 event funded 13 wellness projects in whole or in part, totaling $9,102.12
Projects Funded in Previous Years 2014
- Alcohol/Drug Prevention event, submitted by Student Activities.
- Bicycle repair fund for the community bikes on campus, submitted by Human Resources.
- De-Stress Fest supplies for finals week events, submitted by Student Activities.
- Drinking fountain replacement/bottle filling machine, submitted by Green Team.
- Upgrade the Child Development Center (CDC)’s self-serve materials to accommodate Eat Smart regulations.
- Fitness equipment for Pilates classes and recreational activities, submitted by the Continuing Education Department.
- Legos for creativity spaces in the library, submitted by the library.
- Life Fitness treadmill for the Fitness Center, submitted by the Physical Education department.
- Mental Health & Suicide Prevention speaker, submitted by Student Activities.
- Non-Violent Communication Workshop, submitted by Human Resources.
- Sand volleyball court equipment replacement, submitted by Student Activities.
- Replacement of soccer balls to meet NJCAA requirements, submitted by the Women’s Soccer Team.
- Repairs to the Storybook Walk, submitted by College Advancement & Planning.
– Disk Golf equipment for disk golf classes and recreational activities; butterfly garden boulder painting project; Alive! Mental Health Fair and Suicide Prevention Tour; alcohol and drug prevention programming; and play/gym equipment for College for All Kids camps. 2013
– Nutrition education books and gardening equipment for the Child Development Center (CDC); supplies for the SCC Community Garden plots; StepUP Bystander Intervention Program promotional items; mental health programming; yoga stabilizing blocks and pilates rings for classes; and SCC employee wellness programming. 2012
– Mental health programming; SCC employee wellness programming; treadmill for the Fitness Center; tricycles and child-sized bike helmets for the Child Development Center (CDC); ten guitars for SCC Student Veterans Organization to bring the Six String Heroes therapeutic music program on campus for student veterans diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD); and kickboxing equipment for SCC fitness classes. 2011
– Weights and rack for fitness classes; SCC employee wellness programming, including the Presidential Active Lifestyle Award (PALA)
challenge; guest speaker, equipment and supplies to expand the Child Development Center's garden project started in 2010, teaching CDC children and families about plants, health and child nutrition. 2010
– Gardening equipment and supplies for the Child Development Center (CDC) to start up their garden project to educate CDC children and families about plants, health and nutrition; SCC employee wellness programming; SCC Library's pre-finals week project helping students studying for finals make healthier snack choices; fitness videos that SCC students and employees can check out from the SCC Library; Sunbrella table umbrella to provide protection from the sun; and resistance water bells and bag for water exercise classes offered through the SCC Continuing Education Department. 2009
– Health literacy textbooks and classroom materials for the SCC Adult Education and Literacy (AEL) program; BOSU half ball balance trainers, rack and DVDs; and SCC employee wellness programming. 2008
– Portable FM listening transmitters and headsets for training programs, tours, walking lectures, day trips and Elderhostel programs offered through SCC Continuing Education; professional sound system for Room 203 in the College Center, in which fitness classes such as aerobics, step and dance are held. 2007
– Medication cart for SCC nursing simulation lab; yoga blankets for yoga and pilates classes; dumbbells and rack for fitness classes; College Response program kits,
including online screening tools for depression, eating disorders and alcohol offered by Student Development, SCC Mental Health Services and Physical Education; bench for soccer field; and cougar mascot costume for Scooter McCougar's appearance at college events. 2006
– Hydraulic patient lift/sling, pulse oximeter and multi-sounds trainer for SCC nursing simulation lab; medicine balls, yoga bricks and straps for yoga and pilates fitness classes; fans, sound system and speakers for the Fitness Center; athletic warm-ups for the SCC Soccer Club (Note: SCC Soccer is now an intercollegiate sport)
; First aid kits and water bottles for the SCC Roller Hockey Club.