Lectures and Seminars at UMSL
General Education Capstone Course
Event Details and Guideline Form
Event experience title: Attendance/participation lectures and seminars, University of Missouri-St. Louis
General Ed. Category Event should be listed under: Multicultural Valuing
SCC Competency addressed by event:
Consider multiple perspectives inherent in other cultures, recognize distinctive viewpoints and biases, deal with ambiguity and articulate an informal position.
Demonstrate an understanding of the relationship between the practices/products and perspectives of the cultures studied.
Guidelines for accomplishment of event:
- Attend one of four lectures/seminars/colloquia:
- Joint Center for East Asian Studies (six colloquia annually).
- Distinguished Lecture Series (four lectures series).
- E. Desmond Lee Global Collaborative Seminar Series (five seminars).
- International Seminar Series (10-15 programs annually) on international affairs and international studies.
- Briefly summarize the lecture/seminar/colloquium.
- Identify multicultural values presented in the lecture/seminar/colloquium.
- How do you view these values from American perspective?
- Are there conflicts or agreements between those multicultural values and your own values?
- Based on your understanding of these values, can you better accept the rationale of these values while not necessarily agreeing with them?
- How could you apply this understanding in real life situations?
- Write your journal essay including above points, remembering to use this experience to demonstrate understanding of multicultural values.
Contact information available on the SCC Sophomore Portfolio (Capstone) website.
SCC Event Creator: Dr. Litao (Lee) Zhong, John Snyder.
FOR FACUTLY USE ONLY:
Did essay fulfill SCC competency? YES NO PARTIALLY
Did essay fulfill event guidelines? YES NO PARTIALLY