General Education Capstone Course
Event Details and Guideline Form
Event title: History Museum Visit
General education category event should be listed under: Social Sciences
SCC competency addressed by event:
- SS: Explain social institutions, structure and processes across a range of historical periods, places and/or cultures.
- SS: Develop and communicate hypothetical explanations, predictions and descriptions of human behavior within an historical, spatial and/or social context.
Guidelines for accomplishment of event:
- Visit one of the listed history museum options and write a minimum four page essay about your impressions of the exhibit.
- A successful essay will:
- Place the subject or topic of the museum exhibit in historical context. This means that the student should make specific reference to the place, time period and/or chronology in which the topic or subject of the exhibit took place. Outside research is expected to give a detailed account of the historical significance.
- Do research to explain how the exhibit interprets the past.
- Identify an overarching theme of the exhibit.
- Describe the exhibit’s layout and displays.
- Discuss how the exhibit’s design and organization may shape interpretations of the subject or topic.
- Discuss the significance or relevance of the exhibit to the past and then to our current society today.
- Include a works cited page and proper MLA citation.
Contact information available on the SCC Sophomore Portfolio (Capstone) website.
SCC event co-creators: Dan Rezny, Debra Crank-Lewis, Hal Berry
FOR FACULTY USE ONLY:
Did essay fulfill SCC competency? _____ YES _____ NO _____ PARTIALLY
Did essay fulfill event guidelines? ____ YES _____ NO _____ PARTIALLY