Democracy Days: Shaping Politics – Women in Leadership

#GirlBoss

Urban Dictionary’s definition of a #GirlBoss is:

A woman in control, taking charge of her own circumstances in work & life. Someone who knows her worth and won’t accept anything less. She is empowering and inspiring to those around her.

Equal pay between the sexes remains a hot-button topic in America’s modern political climate. Despite a significant disparity in the number of male and female corporate leaders nationwide, we’re continually inspired by the statistic that women trump men on CEO pay.

On Tuesday, Sept. 19, SCC president, Dr. Barbara Kavalier, chaired a blue ribbon panel discussion with women about their experiences in and analysis of the world of politics and beyond during “Shaping Policy: Women in Leadership Roles.” The event was part of the college’s Democracy Days lineup.

“Shaping Policy: Women in Leadership Roles” panelists included Marie-Hélène Bernard, CEO of the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra; Adrian E. Bracy, CEO of the YWCA; Loria Eaton, president of Nextgen Information Systems; and Lesley S. Hoffarth, executive director of Forest Park Forever.

Here are some memorable quotes from the panel..

“The workforce is changing so much, the opportunities for women are limitless,” said Loria Eaton, president of Nextgen Information Systems.

“Stereotypes are around us all the time,” said Lesley S. Hoffarth, executive director of Forest Park Forever. “The more women leaders there are, the more people will become used to women in power.”

“The best decision I ever made was leaving my previous job,” said Adrian E. Bracy, CEO of the YWCA. “I wanted to do something more as far as giving back. I wanted to make a greater impact in the lives of women and girls. I believe I am living my purpose right now.”

“Don’t hesitate to surround yourself with people who support you,” said Marie-Hélène Bernard, CEO of the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra. “People love to be asked for advice.”

Who is your favorite #GirlBoss? Comment below!

About Amber

Amber Peterson is the marketing specialist at SCC. She graduated from Maryville University with a Bachelor of Arts degree in strategic communication in 2014.
Bookmark the permalink.