The Missouri A+ Schools Programs is designed to provide students who have graduated and successfully met the requirements from a designated A+ Missouri high school, the ability to continue their education at any public community college or technical school within the state of Missouri.
A+ Benefit Guidelines
What Does A+ Cover?
- A+ benefits will cover tuition expenses only. Lab fees, private music lesson fees, telecourse fees and other miscellaneous fees are excluded and are the responsibility of the A+ student. See Tuition & Fees for cost information.
- Remedial courses at SCC qualify for A+ funding; however, in order to establish a grade point average (GPA) for a given term, you must take at least one college-level course.
- Any federal and/or state grants that you are eligible for will be applied to your account prior to A+ funding.
How Long do Benefits Last?
The benefit will currently cover tuition costs until one of the following conditions have been met:
- It has been 48 months since high school graduation
- You have received an associate's degree. This requirement is applicable even if A+ funded only a portion of the degree or if the degree was not obtained at an A+ participating post-secondary school.
- You have completed 105% of the required hours for your program of study. For example: The maximum number of credit hours that A+ will fund for an AAA degree = 67 credit hours. (Multiply 64 credit hours x 105% = 67). Remedial courses and transfer credits count toward the 105% maximum hours of study.
What are the Eligibility Requirements?
- All A+ students must complete a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) for each academic year. The priority deadline to complete the FAFSA is June 1st each year.
- All A+ students must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit hours each semester (full time). An A+ student must meet with an advisor to have coursework approved as part of the student's selected degree program. Coursework not approved or exceeding the 105% limit will be at the A+ student's expense.
- A+ Students are required to be enrolled full-time for the first two weeks of the term in order to remain A+ eligible. Students that drop after the first two weeks will be responsible for tuition costs resulting from those dropped hours.
All A+ students must maintain a minimum 2.50 cumulative GPA at the end of each term. First time freshman, just graduating from high school, will be given a grace period in their first year. Existing A+ students who have lost their A+ funding can regain eligibility once they have achieved the 2.50 cum GPA. It is the responsibility of the student to notify the A+ coordinator once they have met this requirement.
Important A+ Deadlines at SCC
Students planning to use A+ benefits at SCC must have their A+ financial aid file completed by the following deadlines to avoid having to prepay tuition and fees:
A completed A+ financial aid file consists of the following documents:
- Official high school transcripts with the A+ seal
- A completed FAFSA including SCC's school code - 017027.
- All verification documents, if selected by the Department of Education (We will notify you by mail if your application must be verified prior to processing).
- Official college transcripts if you are transferring to SCC from another institution. Transcripts must be evaluated for credit and a "Request for Evaluation of Transfer Credit" form must be completed.
Students whose A+ financial aid files are not completed by the above deadlines will be required to pay their tuition and fee charges by the payment deadline for a term, but will be considered for reimbursement if their files are completed by the following deadlines:
Class schedules must also be finalized by these deadlines. Any files that are not completed prior to these dates or classes added after these dates will be at the expense of the student.
The A+ Benefits Program is administered by the Missouri Department of Higher Education. A+ rules/guidelines are subject to change according to the policies set by MDHE.
For more information, contact Kirsten Perschbacher, the A+ coordinator at 636-922-8269 or email@example.com.
Important A+ Information
A+ Drop Policy
A+ Summer Restrictions
A+ Common Mistakes