MAT 121 Intermediate Algebra
Students should be able to complete the following.
- Solve linear equations and inequalities including those involving absolute value.
- Know the laws of exponents and use in multiplication and factoring polynomials.
- Solve quadratic equations using methods including completing the square.
- Solve equations that can be transformed into quadratic forms.
- Know the properties of radicals and their relation to rational exponents.
- Solve equations involving radicals.
- Add, subtract, multiply and divide rational expressions and solve equations involving them.
- Add, subtract, multiply and divide complex numbers and use them to solve equations whose solutions are not real.
- Solve systems of equations in two and three variables and apply to solve verbal problems.
- Use rectangular coordinate system to graph linear equations and inequalities.
- Find the slope of a line and use it to find an equation of the line.
- Know properties of logarithms and exponential functions and use to solve equations.
- Evaluate a function written in function notation.
- Graph an exponential function.
- Graph a circle and parabola, given their equations.
- Identify and simplify expressions including complex numbers or exponential, logarithmic,
rational, radical or polynomial forms.
- Identify and solve equations and inequalities including linear, quadratic, rational absolute value, radical or exponential form and their applications.
- Demonstrate the relationship between the graph and equation of circles, parabolas and functions in the linear, quadratic, exponential or logarithmic family and their applications.
- Solve systems of equations in two and three variables and their applications.