Dates – Sept. 8-Oct. 31, Online
- Mandatory on-campus lab day: Saturday, Oct. 25, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Clinical: dates and hours determined by instructor
Tuition – $490
Textbook/Lab Kit – TBA
Registration Deadline: Aug. 29
This 44-contact-hour course provides nurses with the skills necessary to administer IV Therapy using the Missouri State Board of Nursing approved curriculum. The Online IV Therapy course is an excellent review for an RN or LPN wishing to update their skills, or an LPN who desires Missouri IV Certification.
The majority of the course is completed online through Canvas (St. Charles Community College online instructional site). There is one required on-campus lab day (designated on the schedule above) and eight hours of clinical work assigned by the instructor. Students will be required to score at least an 80% on the written final exam and demonstrate a 100% mastery of the clinical objectives on the final practicum exam in order to be certified.
Prior to the clinical work, students will be required to take and pass a urine drug screening at a designated facility. Paperwork will be provided by the instructor.
Subjects Covered Include
- Human anatomy and physiology as applied to intravenous therapy.
- Fundamentals of fluid and electrolyte balance.
- Recognition and prevention of IV therapy-related complications.
- Administration of intravenous fluid therapy including insertion of a peripheral IV line, converting a peripheral IV line to an intermittent infusion device, principles of flow rates including pediatric and geriatric considerations.
- Maintenance of IV therapy including the addition of new fluids, tubing changes, dressing changes and maintaining intermittent peripheral infusion devices.
- Discontinuation of peripheral IV sites.
- Pharmacological considerations of intravenous medications.
- Blood transfusion therapy.
- Total parenteral nutrition.
- Procedures in phlebotomy.
- Current Missouri LPN or RN, OR LPN or RN in possession of a temporary permit to practice in Missouri, OR employee of a federal facility located in Missouri who possesses a current license as an LPN or RN in another state.
- Access to a reliable computer and Internet Service Provider (ISP). The choice of computer and ISP and any other related expenses are the responsibility of the student.
- Active email account that can be accessed throughout the program.
- Must provide results from an acceptable background screening from the Family Care Safety Registry (dated within the last 90 days). View the PDF for more information on this requirement.
- Be free from tuberculosis and provide documentation of a negative 2-step TB test or "result of findings" from a chest x-ray (dated within the last 12 months). See the PDF for more information on this requirement.
- Be able to communicate effectively in English.
Please bring the following items when you come in to register –
- COPY of LPN or RN license (as indicated above in the Eligibility Requirements).
- COPY of results from an acceptable background screening from the Family Care Safety Registry (dated within the last 90 days). View the PDF for more information on this requirement.
- COPY of both steps of your negative 2-step TB test or "result of findings" from a chest x-ray (dated within the last 12 months). See the PDF for more information on this requirement.
Registration is done at the Nursing & Allied Health Center (#1 Academy Place, Dardenne Prairie, MO 63368). Office hours are from 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday-Friday. Hours may vary, please call to confirm.
This is a non-credit, certificate course. Tuition is due at time of registration and is non-refundable and non-transferable.