The IV Therapy class provides the nurse with the skills necessary to provide IV Therapy using the Missouri State Board of Nursing approved curriculum.
Subjects covered include
- Human anatomy and physiology as applied to intravenous therapy.
- Fundamentals of fluid and electrolyte balance.
- Recognition and prevention of IV therapy-related complications.
- Administration of intravenous fluid therapy including insertion of a peripheral IV line, converting a peripheral IV line to an intermittent infusion device, principles of flow rates including pediatric and geriatric considerations.
- Maintenance of IV therapy including the addition of new fluids, tubing changes, dressing changes and maintaining intermittent peripheral infusion devices.
- Discontinuation of peripheral IV sites.
- Pharmacological considerations of intravenous medications.
- Blood transfusion therapy.
- Total parenteral nutrition.
- Procedures in phlebotomy.
- Current Missouri LPN or RN licensure or possession of a temporary permit to practice as an RN or LPN in Missouri or employee of a federal facility located in Missouri who possesses a current license as an LPN or RN in another state.
- An Internet Service Provider (ISP) and active e-mail account are required for utilization of the online course. The choice of provider and expense are the responsibility of the student.
- Access to a reliable personal computer (PC) is required for the program.
- Provide an acceptable Family Care Safety Registry background screening.
- Be free from tuberculosis (a negative 2-step TB test is required).
- Be able to communicate effectively in English.
- Complete a urine drug screen at a designated facility.
- Completion of the online curriculum within the time frame as provided in the syllabus.
- A minimum of eight hours of clinical at an approved clinical site which shall include at least one venipuncture under the supervision of an RN instructor or clinical evaluator approved by the Missouri State Board of Nursing.
- A minimum passing grade of 80% on a written final examination.
- 100% mastery of the clinical objectives of the course during the final practicum examination.
Fees for this course are non-refundable.
The textbook is required and available in the bookstore.
Note: For additional information regarding the performance of IV Therapy in the state of Missouri, please refer to the Missouri Nursing Practice Act and the Missouri Code of State Regulations. You may contact the Missouri State Board of Nursing by calling 573-751-0075 or access their website at http://pr.mo.gov/nursing.asp.
A nurse who holds an RN license in the state of Missouri is not required to take a separate IV Therapy course to perform IV Therapy. An individual who graduated from a generic practical nursing program approved by the Missouri State Board of Nursing after Feb. 28, 1999, is exempt from taking a separate IV Therapy course, as these programs are required to include IV Therapy in the curriculum as of that date.
Students who hold an LPN license with IV Certification in another state may be eligible to challenge the IV Certification Exam.
Ready to Register?
Administration Building, Room 1442
- 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday
- Hours may vary. Please call to confirm.
Registrations for this program are not accepted by fax or mail.
Payment is due at the time of registration.