- The E. B. White Award for Expository Writing
The E. B. White Award for Expository Writing
Who is E.B. White? What is Expository Writing?
E.B. White was a skilled essayist who penned the famous composition “Once More to the Lake.” His style manual for essay writing, Elements of Style, is widely used in college composition courses. In honor of E.B. White, SCC would like to recognize an outstanding expository essay. An expository essay focuses on a main topic or idea, asserts a thesis, and is supported by examples and evidence. The essay should show evidence of logical organization and contain smooth transitions. Argument, research, and analysis papers are three examples of expository writing. If you have questions, speak with a member of the SCC English department faculty.
How do I submit something to be considered for the award?
Guidelines for submission
- You should select an expository piece based on an assignment you wrote for an English class at SCC. You can revise portions of the original essay for the submission. Please do not submit a piece you wrote for another school or subject.
- You should submit an unmarked, typed copy of the essay. Your name should not appear anywhere in the text of the essay. Please double-space your writing and use a size 12 font.
- On a separate cover sheet, include the following information:
- The words “E.B. White Award Submission”
- Title of essay
- Your name
- Full address
- Phone number
- Email address
- Name of professor and class
- Submit the essay to your English professor. If you are not enrolled in an English course this semester, submit it to Aaron Proctor, HUM 203/English Department, St. Charles Community College, 4601 Mid Rivers Mall Dr., Cottleville, MO 63376. The essay will not be returned.
- The deadline for fall 2011 is December 12, 2011. The prize will be awarded in April 2012.
There is a separate award for a creative non-fiction essay called The Annie Dillard Award. Please consider submitting an essay for that award. See the flyer for more information.
What is the prize?
The winner of the E.B. White Award will receive …
- An invitation to the Student Awards Banquet held in April 2012, where the winner will be awarded a certificate of achievement.
For more information contact Aaron Proctor at 636-922-8260 or firstname.lastname@example.org.