- The Annie Dillard Award for Creative Nonfiction
The Annie Dillard Award for Creative Nonfiction
Who is Annie Dillard? What is Creative Nonfiction?
Annie Dillard is a Pulitzer Prize-winning writer of nine books and is well known for her creative nonfiction. A creative nonfiction piece is a short work of prose written in first person and deals with a subject experienced by and important to the author. Creative nonfiction often includes descriptive language and a clear reflection on the significance of the experiences discussed in the essay. If you have more questions, speak with a member of the SCC English department faculty.
How do I submit something to be considered for the award?
Guidelines for submission
- You should select a creative nonfiction piece based on an assignment you wrote for an English class at SCC. You can revise portions of the original work for the submission. Please do not submit a piece you wrote for another school or subject. Please do not submit a short story (fiction).
- You should submit an unmarked, typed copy of the piece. Your name should not appear anywhere in the text. Please double-space your writing and use a size 12 font.
- On a separate cover sheet, include the following information:
- The words “Annie Dillard Award Submission”
- Your name
- Full address
- Phone number
- Email address
- Name of professor and class
- Submit the essay to your English professor. If you are not enrolled in an English course this semester, submit it to Aaron Proctor, HUM 203/English Department, St. Charles Community College, 4601 Mid Rivers Mall Dr., Cottleville, MO 63376. The submission will not be returned.
- The deadline for fall 2012 submission is Monday, December 10, 2012. The prize will be awarded in April 2012.
There is a separate award for an expository essay (argument, research or analysis paper) called the E.B. White Award.
What is the prize?
The winner of the Annie Dillard Award will receive…
- An invitation to the Student Awards Banquet held in April 2011, where the winner will be awarded a certificate
For more information contact Aaron Proctor at 636-922-8260 or email@example.com.