- Careers in Criminal Justice
Careers in Criminal Justice
The Criminal Justice/Law Enforcement curriculum at St. Charles Community College is planned for three types of students.
- Those who plan to work for law enforcement agencies.
- Those already employed as law officers who wish to advance their careers.
- Those preparing for advanced study in police management, criminology, social welfare and other related fields.
Types of Jobs Available
- City police do patrol duty, traffic duty and detective work.
- Sheriffs and deputy sheriffs enforce the law in rural areas of the county or places where there is no local police department.
- State police (highway patrol) enforce motor vehicle codes and traffic laws and carry out general law enforcement and investigation duties in rural areas throughout the state.
- Federal law enforcement agencies include the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Drug Enforcement Administration, Border Patrol, Internal Revenue Service and the Secret Service (a bachelor's degree usually is required to work in federal agencies).