Museum Visit/Fine Art Gallery Exhibit
General Education Capstone Course
Event Details and Guideline Form
Event Title: Fine Art Museum/Fine Art Gallery Visit
Gen. Ed. Category Event should be listed under: Humanities
SCC Competency addressed by event:
- Articulate a personal response to popular or classical works in the humanities.
- Obtain information from a variety of sources and be able to critically analyze and evaluate the information for accuracy and relevance.
Guidelines for accomplishment of event
- Choose an art museum or art gallery from the list provided.
- Choose two pieces of artwork to discuss. (Your choices may include either a sculpture, painting, drawing, photograph, etc.)
- You may begin your journal entry by very briefly (one paragraph) describing the location’s architecture, interior decor, or other notable features. Is this your first visit to an art gallery or museum? Discuss.
- Look at and make note of the artwork’s information label which describes the piece.
- Notice the title. It may provide essential information to help you understand the artwork.
- Notice the date, materials, and origin. This information may help further frame your understanding of what has informed the artist’s experience.
- Describe the subject matter where applicable, if subject is unknown, attempt to describe what you see.
- The basic elements of any piece of visual art are line, shape, texture, value, & color. Without being overly detailed, describe the art using these elements.
- Describe how these elements are organized or composed.
- Make note of your feelings and thoughts in regards to the art.
- What do you believe the artist intended to communicate?
- Whether or not you like the art, or think it is good or bad, how do you interpret this work?
- Contrast the most obvious differences between the pieces you have chosen to discuss.
- How does art of the past relate to the present in which we live?
- What has this experience of seeing art taught you about creativity and ideas?
Galleries and Museums
- SCC Donald D. Shook Fine Arts Gallery (Do not write on student exhibitions)
- Pulitzer Foundation For The Arts
- Contemporary Art Museum St. Louis
- Gallery 210 (at UMSL)
- St. Louis Art Museum (in Forest Park)
- Museum of Contemporary Religious Art (at St. Louis University)
- Foundry Art Centre
- Sheldon Art Galleries
- Laumeier Sculpture Park
- Third Degree Glass Factory
- Kemper Museum (at Washington University in St. Louis)
- Duane Reed Gallery
- Good Citizen Gallery
- Bruno David Gallery
- Atrium Gallery
- William Shearburn Fine Art Gallery
- Phd Gallery
Contact information available on the SCC Sophomore Portfolio (Capstone) website.
SCC Event Creator:
FOR FACULTY USE ONLY:
Did essay fulfill SCC competency? YES NO PARTIALLY
Did essay fulfill event guidelines? YES NO PARTIALLY