General Education Capstone Course
Event Details and Guideline Form
Event Title: Comparing Cultures
Gen. Ed. Category Event should be listed under: Multicultural Valuing
SCC Competency addressed by event:
MCV: Consider multiple perspectives inherent in other cultures, recognize distinctive viewpoints and biases, deal with ambiguity and articulate an informed position.
HOT: Make and defend conclusions using relevant evidence and reasoned arguments.
MI: Obtain information from a variety of sources and be able to critically analyze and evaluate the information for accuracy and relevance.
Guidelines for accomplishment of event
- Go to the following website and select two different countries. You may NOT select the United States, any western European country, or Australia as one of your countries.
- Read the material for each country and identify two of the provided topics to compare.
- You may have to select a sub-group of your country to get the detail (the subgroups are usually found under the “Ads by Google” section.
- The topics vary slightly between countries so you must find two countries that have two common topics. They do not all have to match, but must both have the two you are interested in. You may NOT select the first two as they are just an introduction and information about location.
- Find one outside source on your own for each country for each topic to compare topics and to support (or contrast) the information provided on the website.
- For example, if you choose to compare the food of two countries, you must find an additional source that describes the food for each of your selected countries and compare them to each other and to what is presented on www.everyculture.com.
- You will have a total of five sources which should all be correctly cited in a work cited page at the end of your paper.
- Produce a two page paper comparing your two selected topics with formal in-text citations and a work cited page.
Contact information available on the SCC Sophomore Portfolio (Capstone) website.
SCC Event Creator: Ellen Wilson
FOR FACULTY USE ONLY:
Did essay fulfill SCC competency? _____ YES _____ NO _____ PARTIALLY
Did essay fulfill event guidelines? _____ YES _____ NO _____ PARTIALLY