Personal Information

Change of Information

It is important to notify the Enrollment Services Department of your new information in order to receive important info from us. Please complete the Change of Information form.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

St. Charles Community College, like all public colleges and universities, is subject to the provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), also known as the Buckley Amendment. FERPA is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records.

Per FERPA regulations, when the student enrolls at a college or university, these rights transfer directly to the student and away from the parent. College students are considered responsible adults and are allowed to determine who will receive information about them. The student is the only person who can authorize access to his/her records. Parents do not have the right to access their student’s records without the student’s signed written consent. Records may be disclosed to any SCC employee who has a legitimate educational interest in the student. Determination of such a disclosure will be made by the dean of enrollment services.

St. Charles Community College considers the following to be a student's directory information (information that can be released to a third party without the consent of a student):

  • Student name;
  • Date and place of birth;
  • Major field of study;
  • Participation in officially recognized activities and sports;
  • Weight and height of athletic team members;
  • Dates of attendance;
  • Degrees and awards received;
  • The most recent previous educational agency or institution attended by the student.

The Privacy Act of 1974 does not permit the college to provide information regarding grades, transcripts or schedules to parents of students. Regardless of the student's age.

Any student who does not want any or all of the above information to be released without his or her prior written consent must inform the Enrollment Services Department before the end of the second week of classes of a regular term (by the end of the first week of classes of a summer term). The information listed above will become directory information or public information as of the specified time.

Forms to request the withholding of directory information will be available during registration. The request to withhold directory information must be renewed each semester or term.

Names and addresses of SCC graduates and currently enrolled students will be released to four-year institutions upon request of the institution.

In compliance with FERPA, students have the right to inspect official records directly relating to them. You have the right to challenge any statement that you consider inaccurate, misleading or inappropriate.

If you wish to examine your official records, you may do so by applying to the registrar.

Records may be released to parents only if the SCC Enrollment Services Department has been provided with a written release by the student. Financial or Registration Release forms may be found online or picked up in ADM 1113.

The college may disclose records without student consent to the following parties:

  • Other colleges to which a student is transferring.
  • Certain government officials in order to carry out lawful functions.
  • Appropriate parties in connection with financial aid to a student.
  • Organizations conducting certain studies for the college.
  • Accrediting organizations.
  • Individuals who have obtained court orders or subpoenas – the college is obliged to honor these requests. The SCC records coordinator will send a notice to the student indicating that a subpoena for their records was received.
  • Persons who have a need to know in cases of health or safety emergencies.
  • State and local authorities, within a juvenile justice system, pursuant to specific State law.

Contact for Questions or Concerns

Contact the dean of enrollment services at 636-922-8237 or email

The U.S. Department of Education is responsible for overseeing FERPA.

Third Party Registration and Tuition Payment

Any third party who wishes to register (add/drop) for a student will need to be listed on an Authorization for Third Party Registration and Tuition Payment form that has been completed by the student.