The Interview - An Overview
What is the purpose of the interview?
You and the employer have the chance to learn more about each other and independently decide if this job and organization is a good fit for your skills and temperament.
How does this happen?
The ideal interview is a two-way street where you both talk and listen.
What makes an interview successful?
Preparation. Know yourself and know what kind of work activities and environment you are seeking.
Prepare your academic self
- What skills do you have that are pertinent to the employer?
- Can you give examples from class where you have applied these skills?
- What have you gained from your classes? Participate in any extracurricular activities?
- Why did you choose your major?
- What was your worst/favorite class? Why?
Prepare your personal self
- What are your personal strengths?
- Why did you choose to attend college?
- List several adjectives that describe you.
- How are your verbal and written communication skills?
- What are your achievements?
- What are your short and long term goals?
- Are you a leader or follower?
Prepare your business knowledge
- What is this company’s business?
- Why are you interested in working here?
- What questions do you want answered about the specific department and job?