Most Effective Approaches
Networking in Person
- Ask friends, relatives and acquaintances if they know someone who could use your skills.
- Up to 65% of all job seekers find jobs through people they know.
- Companies use Facebook, LinkedIn and other networks to communicate with potential employees and to talk about their services and products.
- Join one or more of these networks to increase your networking potential.
Direct Contact Via Telephone
- Call prospective employers to arrange an informational interview.
- This works best if you have a specific name you obtained through your networking contacts.
Direct Contact Via the Web
- Search major Internet sites such as careerbuilder.com and monster.com for available positions.
- Post your resume online.
- Search specific company websites for vacancies.
- Register with SCC's free online job posting program, College Central Network, and post your resume for local employers.
Temporary Employment Agency
- Apply for a job with an employment agency.
- Many companies use agencies to fill vacancies.
- Temporary employees who do well are often offered permanent employment.