Calling a Potential Employer – Telephone Script for Students With a Degree
Practice Telephone Script A for Students With a Degree
- Introduce yourself and mention your referral person, if you have one.
"Good morning Mr. Miller. My name is Janet Smith and I got your name from Jeff Brown. Do you have a minute to talk?“
- Clearly state two or three highlights of your qualifications and the type of position desired.
"I have an Associates Degree in CAD and work experience in a manufacturing environment. I am seeking a challenging CAD position either full- or part-time.”
- If there are no current openings, ask to meet to discuss any future opportunities.
"Sorry to hear there are no openings now since your company sounded so interesting. Would you be willing to have a short meeting with me in case an opening does occur in the near future?”
- Ask for leads to others who might be interested in your skills.
“Is there anyone you can think of who might be looking for a CAD employee?”
- Be polite, even if nothing substantial comes from the initial conversation.
“Thank you for your time and referral.”
- Send a follow-up thank-you note, along with your resume.