Mission, Vision and Values
SCC enriches our community by providing life-changing educational and cultural opportunities focused on personal growth and student success in a global society.
We will be a community college recognized for leadership in academic excellence, student success, instructional and technological innovation, and community responsiveness.
Values and How We Demonstrate Them
The following describe our values and exemplify how we demonstrate these values to foster a positive learning and work atmosphere.
Communication, Trust and Respect: We value mutual trust and respect and encourage open communication within the college community.
- We keep confidential information confidential.
- We trust others and keep our commitments to each other.
- We listen to and respect one another’s different viewpoints.
- We expect the best in others and communicate in positive ways.
- We thank people for helping us.
- We apologize to others when appropriate.
- We share good news and bad news with others, working to solve problems.
- We express appreciation for the contribution that employees make to the College.
Commitment to Student Success: We are committed to providing the finest instruction, resources, and support services to enhance the growth and development of our students.
- We recognize serving students as our primary purpose.
- We provide excellent educational opportunities and services for our students.
- We value a diverse campus population which enriches the educational experience.
- We treat students fairly and respectfully.
- We model to students behaviors that reflect these values.
Lifelong Learning: We recognize learning as a continuous process.
- We respond to the educational needs of our community.
- We solicit constructive ideas from one another and use them to help us to improve.
- We seek professional development opportunities that help us improve and grow.
Decentralized and Democratic Decision Making: We value informed decisions made by people closest to the issue.
- We work to make decisions by consensus.
- We seek input and involvement from others on decisions that affect them.
- We encourage the expression of different viewpoints when making decisions.
- We communicate decisions to all affected parties.
Instructional Innovation: We encourage the highest quality instructional programs, using the best of current and emerging instructional methods and technology.
- We try new approaches to teaching and student learning.
- We evaluate new technologies and incorporate them when appropriate.
- We accept responsibility for creating significant, meaningful student learning experiences.
Cooperation: We value teamwork.
- We resolve differences by doing what is best for our students and the College.
- We use our abilities and knowledge to help one another succeed, asking for help when needed.
- We respect and value diversity, recognizing that every person plays an important role at the College.
Service: We value service to students, the community, and one another.
- We identify diverse student needs and seek out ways to fulfill them.
- We model courteous, professional behavior.
- We offer suggestions and assistance to others.
- We accept our fair share of College service responsibilities.
- We are attentive and responsive to the needs of campus visitors.