March 29, 2012
St. Charles Community College's Phi Theta Kappa chapter and its members were the recipients of several awards presented at the PTK Missouri Regional Convention in Jefferson City, March 2-4.
SCC Phi Theta Kappa officers and sponsors at the PTK Missouri Regional Convention in Jefferson City, held March 2-4. Left to right: Tammy Searle, Brenda Hollrah, Tobi Wilkins, Kevin Chang, Christina Gant and Ashley Richardson.
- Chapter officers including SCC students Tobi Wilkins of St. Peters, Kevin Chang of St. Peters, and Ashley Richardson and Tammy Searle, both of Wentzville, received the Distinguished Chapter Officer Team Award for outstanding accomplishments and achievement.
- Wilkins also received the Distinguished Chapter Officer Award for demonstrating leadership, promotion of honors in action and other engagement in the society.
- Brenda Hollrah of O’Fallon, Mo., SCC College Center coordinator, received the Distinguished Chapter Advisor Award for distinguished service.
- Christina Gant of Wentzville, SCC English instructor, received the Distinguished Chapter Advisor Award and the Horizon Award for Advisors, for attaining new levels of achievement in PTK programs.
- Michael Banks, former SCC vice president for academic and student affairs, received the Distinguished College Administrator Award, for outstanding support provided to PTK over the years.
- Five-Star Chapter Award, the highest level a chapter can achieve, based on engagement at local, regional and international involvement.
- Phoenix Award, which recognizes chapters who have overcome challenges of the previous year to improve in the current year, for addressing the inconsistency in the performance of officer teams from previous years.
- Great Idea Award, which is presented for an activity, event, project or promotion developed and successfully implemented, for PTK’s idea to work together with other student organizations on a large fundraiser.
- Honors in Action Project Hallmark Award, for incorporating PTK’s four hallmarks, scholarship, leadership, service and fellowship into a research project where students examined the nutritional content of food served on campus.
- Honors in Action Issue Award: Science, also for the research project where students examined the nutritional content of food served on campus.
- Icarus Award, based on a Greek myth, which recognizes the efforts of a chapter in planning and implementing a project that didn’t achieve the expected outcome, for the research project where students examined the nutritional content of food served on campus.
Phi Theta Kappa is the international honor society of two-year colleges. For more information on SCC’s PTK chapter or the awards, contact Gant at 636-922-8665 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Established in 1986, St. Charles Community College is celebrating 25 years as a public, comprehensive two-year community college with associate degrees and certificate programs in the arts, business, sciences and career-technical fields. SCC provides workforce training and community-based personal and professional development as well as cultural, recreational and entertainment opportunities. For more information, visit http://www.stchas.edu.